John Carmack Resigns from Meta and Cites Lack of Efficiency within the Company as the Main Reason for Departure

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
In the note, John repeatedly explains how his life and passion for optimizing and being efficient were stifled by an inconsistent direction of his team and a squandering of resources.

See full article...

I'm shocked.

It would be neat to see JC go back into game (engine) design, but he had jumped off FB a while ago and has been on an AI kick for a while now.

I am shocked he lasted this long. JC was never well suited to be working for a big soul crushing company. It's an acquired taste, it takes years of apathy and big corporation wide low enthusiasm to jade one sufficiently for corporate life. I'm sure the $$$ kept him around longer than he would have liked.

I'm sure it didn't help that FB swooped in and bought Oculus out, and terraformed his baby into .... whatever the hell Meta is now. He's not wrong about the Quest VR, it's just that as part of the Metaverse BS what the hell are you supposed to do with it.

I too would love to see him get back into gaming, but I think he's moved on from that.

John Carmack, very smart guy. But like most engineers, it wouldn't surprise me if he was exceptionally bad at playing office politics. It's not necessarily that he couldn't move faster at a place like Meta, it's likely that he just didn't know how to change his operating behavior, and sell-in to others, that would allow him to do so.

John Carmack, very smart guy. But like most engineers, it wouldn't surprise me if he was exceptionally bad at playing office politics. It's not necessarily that he couldn't move faster at a place like Meta, it's likely that he just didn't know how to change his operating behavior, and sell-in to others, that would allow him to do so.

I'm not surprised, lot's of creative talent leaves companies after they get bought out by some big company, that's why so many game studios go under, business comes b4 making great games.

Here in Belgium I seen some succesfull business men try politics only to fail miserably as it's the same thing, they want to make big changes fast and get things moving but they can't get any momentum going and quit desilusioned

Become a Patron!
Back