LG Display Announces New OLED Technologies, including 97-inch OLED.EX TV Panel That Can Create 5.1 Sound by Vibrating

Kind of a cool concept that you can create surround sound that way, but compared to a good 5.1 or 7.1 receiver, is it any good?

Kind of a cool concept that you can create surround sound that way, but compared to a good 5.1 or 7.1 receiver, is it any good?
I've never heard built-in sound beat a receiver, even a lower-tier one. Some lower end sound bars are junk - but most middling-to-great sound bars will also beat every single built-in sound I've ever heard from a TV.

That said, I've never heard this, but I think Sony has had something similar in their top-tier panels for a while now. No one ever spoke about how great it sounded.

If you are affording a 97" OLED TV - the "speaker" is just a gimmick to help qualify the price - you can certainly afford at least a decent sound bar to go with it. If not an actual no kidding high end Home Theater setup.

If you are affording a 97" OLED TV - the "speaker" is just a gimmick to help qualify the price - you can certainly afford at least a decent sound bar to go with it. If not an actual no kidding high end Home Theater setup.

That's always been my process too. If you are considering spending thousands of dollars on a screen, are you really going to use built in speakers? You probably have a plan for a HT receiver as well.

So, why even put speakers in high end TV's?

I still wish I could buy the highest of the high end display panels with excellent clarity and fantastic darks, but without any of the superflous crap like speakers or "smart" functionality. I'd rather provide my own inputs and sound outputs.

Become a Patron!
Back