LG Display Will Show Off a Rollable OLED TV That Unravels like a Projector Screen at CES

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
LG Display has announced that it will be back at CES this year to showcase a variety of amusing OLED products.

That would include a 65-inch UHD "roll-down" OLED display, which will function like a projector screen. It's "stored in the ceiling and can be pulled down when desired and rolled up when not in use."

The company has shown off rollable displays before, but those would roll upwards out of a box instead of downwards from the ceiling.

LG will also unveil two new "Cinematic Sound" OLED displays, as well as its first 48-inch OLED TV. The current lineup starts at 55 inches.

On show will be a 77-inch UHD Film Cinematic Sound & Wallpaper OLED display to be hung like wallpaper with the company’s newly unveiled sound system made of films, which makes the display wafer-thin. The company will also showcase an 88-inch 8K Cinematic Sound OLED display with a magnificent 11.2 channel sound system.

Down versus up - such innovation.

Seriously though these are cool concepts but I’ve never seen one out in the wild

newly unveiled sound system made of films
Back in the late 80's I remember going into a local high end Hi-Fi shop that had 'flat speakers'. They were roughly 2-5mm thick and about the size of a magazine and had pretty amazing sound. Don't remember the brand but they were pricey. I think around $1000 for four that were around 100-200w each. You could hang them, slap 'em on a wall, attach to each other, and so on. Never saw that kind of tech again. Always wondered when it would reappear. Question answered now.

I have not seen the roll-up version in person, but I saw a demonstration model LG SIGNATURE W9 Wallpaper 77" stuck to a sheet of plexi to demonstrate the thickness (less than a quarter-inch). Impressively thin and the same amazing OLED picture. I really wonder if the true QLED is going to hit the market fast enough to compete... But I hope it does, multiple technologies should benefit us end users.

If I paid the $$$$ for an OLED TV, I wouldn't want to hide it. I would want everyone to see it. Hell, I might never ever turn it off.

Back in the late 80's I remember going into a local high end Hi-Fi shop that had 'flat speakers'. They were roughly 2-5mm thick and about the size of a magazine and had pretty amazing sound. Don't remember the brand but they were pricey. I think around $1000 for four that were around 100-200w each. You could hang them, slap 'em on a wall, attach to each other, and so on. Never saw that kind of tech again. Always wondered when it would reappear. Question answered now.

Magnepans?

They still make them. They are more of a "cool looking" tech than a good sounding one. Cool looking for sure.

Magnepans?
[/URL]

They still make them. They are more of a "cool looking" tech than a good sounding one. Cool looking for sure.
Thanks for posting but not the same ones I saw. What I saw/heard were about the size of a magazine or large pamphlet in all dimensions. They had basic colors like solid blue, red, white etc. Had a kind of plastic/leather coating, some kind of chemical just not sure what.

I think you are thinking of Electrostatic speakers.

Crazy expensive high end audiophile brands like MartinLogan, JansZen and a few others make them, but the pricing is usually complete lunacy and they need some ridiculous amps too.

These MartinLogan Neoliths will set you back $89k a pair...

5a16f58e72fd3.jpeg

I think you are thinking of Electrostatic speakers
I think you're probably right. They didn't look like that, more like this.
1578058351237.png
https://drop.com/buy/in2uit-filo-speakers

Except there wasn't anything behind them but connection wires. Looked the same front/back. Unlike these that have backing material/power connections, etc. The material wasn't cloth more like a vinyl/pleather type. Thanks to you and @Burticus though. Been so long I couldn't remember the kind of tech used for them. These days I've got enough tech mouths to feed so I don't even consider going into Hi-Fi shops anymore.

These days I've got enough tech mouths to feed so I don't even consider going into Hi-Fi shops anymore.

Hi-Fi shops still exist? Outside of Fry's / Best Buy (Magnolia) all the ones I knew about around Dallas dried up. Used to go to places like Hillcrest Hifi (gone), Stereo East (gone), etc etc. Starpower is still around but they don't care about normal folks, just mega $$$ custom installs.

I think you're probably right. They didn't look like that, more like this.
View attachment 185
https://drop.com/buy/in2uit-filo-speakers

Except there wasn't anything behind them but connection wires. Looked the same front/back. Unlike these that have backing material/power connections, etc. The material wasn't cloth more like a vinyl/pleather type. Thanks to you and @Burticus though. Been so long I couldn't remember the kind of tech used for them. These days I've got enough tech mouths to feed so I don't even consider going into Hi-Fi shops anymore.

Yeah, they came in various degrees of flatness over the years.

IN all cases the electrostatic speaker is perfectly flat, but different designs have differing levels of support behind it.

At the bottom of this article is a good list of different historical models. Maybe you can find the one you were thinking of? (I suspect they might have been the "Quad" models.)

Last edited:
Hi-Fi shops still exist? Outside of Fry's / Best Buy (Magnolia) all the ones I knew about around Dallas dried up. Used to go to places like Hillcrest Hifi (gone), Stereo East (gone), etc etc. Starpower is still around but they don't care about normal folks, just mega $$$ custom installs.
Yeah the one where I live is pretty much the same. Never been in it but with where it's located it's pretty easy to guess their clientele. Nothing really wrong with it just well beyond my means.

Yeah, they came in various degrees of flatness over the years.

IN all cases the electrostatic speaker is perfectly flat, but different designs have differing levels of support behind it.

At the bottom of this article is a good list of different historical models. Maybe you can find the one you were thinking of? (I suspect they might have been the "Quad" models.)
Great article clicked on just about every link and it even gave me some ideas to search by but unfortunately couldn't find anything. I've got a feeling it had to be something local and special that never took off. I saw them in a high end shop in downtown Colorado Springs somewhere between 1988-1992. Craziest things I'd seen at that point and really thought it would be the future. Not kidding, you could hang them from strings next to a wall. Almost completely flat. The sales person let me handle them and they weighed mere ounces. They had velcro and you could attach them together as well and make a strip to make a wall of sound if desired. Dimensions were roughly 10"x8" rectangular and maybe 5mm thick, very similar to a modern high end tablet. The ones they had were these artsy looking pastel colors like blue, red, white. They really looked like they were meant to be placed next to art. If you saw one you'd have no idea it was a speaker. Sound was pretty good but not full bodied but volume was decent. They may have been Quad but unfortunately I can't find a single image to match. Thanks for posting that link though. A fun read. More things to dream about.

Become a Patron!
Back