LG Issues Recall of 86-Inch Smart TVs for Tip-Over, Entrapment Hazards

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
LG's engineers may want to take additional precautions when designing their smart TVs. According to an update from the US Consumer Product Safety Commission, LG has issued a recall for some of its 86-inch Smart TV models, which seemingly feature stands that could result in the displays falling over and resulting in injuries or death to children and others. About 52,000 units are affected, with 1,800 sold in Canada and about 2,900 sold in Mexico.

See full article...

I don't recall what model it was, but a few years ago the LG HDTV two friends of mine have tipped over in the middle of the night, scaring the f*ck outta them, and they were ready for war cuz they thought it was a break-in. Nope, just the sh1tty feet of the stand that the TV came with giving way. The TV still works but it has a pretty serious meandering crack in it. Most of my other friends with LG TVs use 3rd-party mounts. It seems LG doesn't know how to make reliable stands for their TVs. I sure as f*ck wouldn't trust them. The whole situation is even better when you can have an absolutely massive screen fall on your @ss.

They may be massive but they don’t exactly weight much.
I helped a friend and his dad wall-mount a 77" LG C1 OLED HDTV last year, that sh1t weighed a ton. Helped another friend set up his 75" Samsung LCD he got back in 2019, that also had some serious heft to it. If any of those things fall on you, you would probably be seriously injured.

My 2019 50" LCD weighs next to nothing compared to my 2012 Plasma. I think the plasma has actual glass in it, well the stand is definitely made of tempered glass. It weighs over 27kg, that's 60lbs for those challenged by metric units.

Any TV that isn’t my old 34” Sony Trinitron XBR feels light. That thing was like 200lbs.
I had a late model LG widescreen CRT, it felt like it had concrete in it. I hurt my back transporting it when I sold it.

I'm surprised they sold that many 84 inch TVs. Don't come at me crying about inflation if you can afford 84" TVs, and houses that fits them.

I'm surprised they sold that many 84 inch TVs. Don't come at me crying about inflation if you can afford 84" TVs, and houses that fits them.
I kind of agree here, this just further articulates the disparity present between the haves and the have nots.

Personally I straddle the fence. I make a decent income but am a single earner for my family and my wife has extensive medical problems. Sees a doctor 1-2 times every two weeks and has surgeries every year, not to mention the dozen prescriptions she is on. Oh and I live in the US, so even though I make good money we're near paycheck to paycheck.

Yeah, I was half joking, but there are certainly people who underappreciate how good they have it and act like it is the apocalypse because inflation affects the US now more significantly than in the recent past.

Their cheapest 86" TV is just over $1000. That's not really all that expensive.

Any TV that isn’t my old 34” Sony Trinitron XBR feels light. That thing was like 200lbs.
We had two different Trinitrons from right before the XBR and they weighed a ton too. Even back then when I was young and still in decent shape I hated lifting them.

I've bought a bunch of different flat-panel TVs in the last 10-15 years and it wasn't until around 2016 that I started to notice how some had questionable leg/stand designs. I've owned 4 different LG models but it wasn't until the 2019 65" C9 that I really had concerns. The stand design is just plain weird and overly complicated to get it properly seated and installed. Honestly, I probably could've had two people hold the d**n thing up while I was under it in order to get that thing installed but instead I just did my best, on my own with a little help from my wife. I got it on there but wasn't confident with the way it seems to allow the panel to lean forward so I've got a couple of SD card cases on either corner just to tip it a bit more backward. It's solid now but I still don't like that stand.

Our 2016 65" Sony Z9D has a similar funky stand but that one wasn't as much of a pia as the C9. I did have my wife and a friend hoist that one for a few seconds so I could get the stand into place but still easy compared to the C9.

Back around 2021, we got a 75" Hisense from BB on a BF deal for $599. We love that thing. Of course, it's huge but the weight isn't that bad. It's an Android TV and also got a Vizio 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos soundbar for $400, so basically $1K for both, and it's been great. However, back then due to supply chain/pandemic crap, it was virtually impossible for me to source a suitable stand for it w/o redesigning most of our bedroom, so I really was going through hoops in trying to figure out a way to set it up in there. At one point in looking at the bottom of the TV, I noticed an extra set of holes closer to the center of the panel, for the feet mounting screws. The instructions barely mentioned the "alternative" mounting solution but I was happy because it meant I'd be able to reuse another cabinet we still had. However, what I don't like is that the feet seem just a bit flimsy to me and by having them closer it does make it a little more precarious. It works but not the best.

Ironically the best design I've seen in recent years is 42" C2 I got last summer. I think the feet on that are perfect. They're unobtrusive, look nice, and are totally solid (even though it is a small, light, panel someone could've still opted for a cheap design here). Really happy with this one and it sure would've been nice if the C9 had something similar. They are plastic, L-shaped, but the backs slide into grooves in the panel and if I remember correctly, snap into place and then screwed down.

Become a Patron!
Back