Looking for the Best GPU for 4K Gaming in FPS Games

jennystar

n00b
Hi everyone,

I'm in the market for a new GPU and I'm considering options for 4K gaming in FPS games. What do you all recommend as the best GPU for this in 2024?

Thanks!

What games in specific? Do you care about different graphical features? What is in the running? Are the budget limitations?

I mean, budget is the big question here. Also power supply concerns if you're talking about the high end stuff.

Personally I like to aim for middle, I refuse to spend more than $500 for a GPU. That used to be able to get you top end stuff like 1080 TI's back in the day, but not any more. I recently got a Gigabyte RTX 4070 for around $500 (not the TI those are more $$$) at my local Microcenter. But the prices go up really quick. Chasing the 4K dragon with high FPS can cost you more than a used car.

As far as brand goes, the similar price levels for the AMD cards are fairly comparable to the Nvidia ones. Some say you get a little more bang for the buck with AMD but it comes down to personal preference and what you manage to catch on sale/clearance.

Hey Grimlakin and Burticus,

Thanks for the responses!

• Games: Mainly looking at titles like Call of Duty, Battlefield, and Cyberpunk 2077.
  • Graphical Features: I do care about high settings, ray tracing, and future-proofing for upcoming titles.
  • Budget: Ideally under $700, but I'm flexible if it's worth the performance boost.
  • Power Supply: Currently using a Corsair 850W PSU.
Appreciate the help!

How does this GPU look under my budget?

I would say for some of the most demanding games out there for less than 1k you're not likely to get a great experience.

Go for a 4080.

How does this GPU look under my budget?

That RX 7900 XT Ultra for 699 is in the same performance ballpark as the 4070 TI give or take 10%. I don't think either is going to break 60fps @ 4k for the likes of Cyberpunk but 1440 should be a winner.

These reviews are not the exact same cards but should give you a general idea

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I'm in the market for a new GPU and I'm considering options for 4K gaming in FPS games. What do you all recommend as the best GPU for this in 2024?

Thanks!
When it comes to 4K Gaming, you want the fastest GPU you can afford. It's that simple. Ideally, that would be the RTX 4090.

A 4090 will absolutely kill it for most things at 4090, although CP2077 can still bring it down with enough settings maxed.

I've got a Liquid Suprim X 4090 and love it but after taxes and shipping they go for around $2K. Meanwhile though I've also got a 4080 SUPER and have been extremely impressed at how well it does with 4K.

There's one on sale in the link below for $999 and I'd say that's a pretty good deal for what it is. If you don't mind losing a few more frames for around $799 the 4070 Ti has the same GPU, just cut down and slower memory but when overlocked has been shown to perform very well.

For 4K gaming in FPS games this year, you're likely looking at top-tier options like the RTX 3080 or the Radeon RX 6900 XT. Both should handle high-resolution gaming smoothly. It ultimately depends on your budget and brand preference, but these are solid choices for pushing those pixels in FPS titles. Happy gaming!

For 4k gaming you'll need at the very least a Ti4800 super/7900 XTX

Now if you want to throw upscaling into the mix, then you could go for a 4070TiSuper / 7900XT. Note that RT and DLSS (upscaling and frame generation) are much better with nvidia, so that might tip the scale.

One last note, the 4070Ti Super is a pretty good overclocker while still running relatively cool, something to consider.

"Need" is a strong term.

You do want the best you can afford. You need to set a budget. Prices on GPUs vary wildly, and it's isn't necessarily linear. You can run just about any modern GPU at 4K if you had to - just a matter of where you need to adjust the game options to make it playable, and what you are willing to accept. Even the fastest, most expensive GPU you can buy today will choke on higher settings levels in many of these games.

I game in 4K on a 3080, and have been for a few years. I'm still happy with it, but admittedly most of what I play are not latency-sensitive AAA games.

Last edited:
Become a Patron!
Back