Memory Chipmakers Are Warning That NAND Flash Prices Could Increase Up to 40% in 2020

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Solid state drives and other NAND flash products saw generous discounts over the holidays, but prices could be rebounding beyond what's expected.

According to DIGITIMES, sources at memory chipmakers are predicting that contract prices will rise as much as 40% in 2020.

No explicit reason was given, but it would obviously stem from some kind of supply issue relating to increased demand or lack of materials.

Ironically, Samsung's DRAM and NAND flash complex at Hwaseong suffered a minute-long blackout yesterday, which forced the company to halt all production lines for two or three days. Losses are said to be in the millions of dollars.

A half-hour power outage at Samsung’s Pyeongtaek chip plant in 2018 resulted in estimated losses of about 50 billion won ($43.32 million) according to Yonhap.

Some kind of supply issue being the margin got too thin...

No explicit reason was given
Saw this on a number of places over the past week. I believe one of them cited the next gen consoles from Sony and Microsoft being one of the reasons due to their GPU ram and SSD needs. Since consoles are produced at such large quantities they're consuming a lot of production resources.

I was worried this would happen, which is why I just bought a Sabrent Gen 4 Phison E16 2TB drive recently, even though the Gen4 drives aren't quite ready for prime time yet...

40%?! Shiiiiat...
Saw this on a number of places over the past week. I believe one of them cited the next gen consoles from Sony and Microsoft being one of the reasons due to their GPU ram and SSD needs. Since consoles are produced at such large quantities they're consuming a lot of production resources.
Interesting, hadn't heard that myself.

Become a Patron!
Back