Micron Begins Sampling DDR5 RAM: Next Generation of Memory Is 85% Faster Than DDR4

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Micron has announced that it has begun sampling "the most technologically advanced DRAM to date" for data center customers.

According to the company, DDR5 doubles the memory density and provides an 85% (1.85x) increase in performance over DDR4.

Users can expect a 1600-3200 MT/s improvement in data rates (DDR4 1600-3200 MT/s vs. DDR5 3200-6400 MT/s).

The new memory was developed on Micron's 1znm process technology.

“Data center workloads will be increasingly challenged to extract value from the accelerating growth of data across virtually all applications,” said Tom Eby, senior vice president and general manager of the Compute & Networking Business Unit at Micron.

“The key to enabling these workloads is higher-performance, denser, higher-quality memory. Micron’s sampling of DDR5 RDIMMs represents a significant milestone, bringing the industry one step closer to unlocking the value in next-generation data-centric applications.”

We'll see. I suspect things will be like they've always been. The next DDR interface will have terrible latencies for some time and you'll not be able to totally make up for it with raw bandwidth. Eventually, as timings and technology improves the pendulum will swing the other way. Not to mention, clock speeds will eventually improve to help offset taking a step back.

We'll see though.

We'll see. I suspect things will be like they've always been. The next DDR interface will have terrible latencies for some time and you'll not be able to totally make up for it with raw bandwidth. Eventually, as timings and technology improves the pendulum will swing the other way. Not to mention, clock speeds will eventually improve to help offset taking a step back.

We'll see though.

It should be a a good thing for high core count Ryzen's (vs threadripper with 4 channels). Probably good for IGP's as well.

Aye to both of you.
Its going to be a few years before decent modules appear.

Yep, this might be yet another shot in the arm for ryzen.

This is looking good. Combining that faster memory with the PCIE 4 or 5 I/O bus with the new high speed NVME drives means you might be able to do meaningful disk caching in memory?

Seems like DDR4 has been here for 5 or 6 years, time to move on I guess.

I still have a DDR3 system on my test bench (FX8320) LOL

Become a Patron!
Back