Microsoft Begins Forcing the Windows 10 May 2019 Update

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Windows 10 users who are still running last year's April 2018 Update (1803) are being forced to move on, as Microsoft has begun the process of automatically installing the recent May 2019 Update (1903) on outdated systems. While 1803 doesn't reach end of service until November 12, 2019, Microsoft wanted to get a head start to ensure a smoother transition.

Microsoft doesn't think users should be given a choice due to security concerns. "Keeping these devices both supported and receiving monthly updates is critical to device security and ecosystem health."

According to Windows app analytics vendor AdDuplex, a majority of measured Windows 10 devices - 58% of the total - was running 1803 on June 26. AdDuplex has tracked the abnormally high percentage of Windows 10 users running 1803 for months; as early as April, Computerworld concluded that Microsoft had given up on forcibly deploying its successor, 1809, and had decided to skip that problematic upgrade to move 1803 users straight to 1903.

This explains why neither my desktop game bare metal install (I dual boot to windows just for games, doing everything else in windows) nor my Win10 VM I use in my Linux install have received 1809 updates yet.

What I don't get is, if 1803 is supported unt November 12th, why exactly is it a security risk today? Supported means it's supposed to get all of the security patches, just like newer versions.

I think it's odd that it is forcing updates this early.

Isn't it the 1903 build that modifies how the OS allocates CPU's to tasks that helps AMD performance? Won't this encourage more people to get to the more current OS build? Just a thought.

What if we thought of OS updates like we did herd immunity for vaccinations. The fleet needs to be at a certain level to protect the net. And people who simply refuse updates could be compared to techno-anti-vaxxers. Rolling OS's FTW.

What if we thought of OS updates like we did herd immunity for vaccinations. The fleet needs to be at a certain level to protect the net. And people who simply refuse updates could be compared to techno-anti-vaxxers. Rolling OS's FTW.

I generally agree, but 1803 is officially supported until November 12th, so up until that point it should receive security patches at the same level as newer builds.

So, I say we have no problems until November.

The only issue is how fast they can transition everyone before the deadline, which is at least the official reason they are starting early.

I generally agree, but 1803 is officially supported until November 12th, so up until that point it should receive security patches at the same level as newer builds.

So, I say we have no problems until November.

The only issue is how fast they can transition everyone before the deadline, which is at least the official reason they are starting early.
Totally agree. I started seeing the option to install it today on some of our workstations. I'm going to wait at least until the end of September. It's been a bit of a roll of the dice with some of these more major updates in the last couple of years. Have had some rough days trying to either reinstall drivers, or configurations that suddenly changed after the update and had to go back and fix and in some cases BSOD's. Things are running smoothly presently and just not wanting to put the time to be a guinea pig right now.

Some of my systems have not been offered 1903. Granted, these are hobby systems that are only turned on once in a while, but even clicking on the "Check for Updates" button usually just offers a new version of virus definitions and that's it.

Totally agree. I started seeing the option to install it today on some of our workstations. I'm going to wait at least until the end of September. It's been a bit of a roll of the dice with some of these more major updates in the last couple of years. Have had some rough days trying to either reinstall drivers, or configurations that suddenly changed after the update and had to go back and fix and in some cases BSOD's. Things are running smoothly presently and just not wanting to put the time to be a guinea pig right now.
I really wish they'd move to smaller more manageable updates instead of trying to stick with the old service pack paradigm. There should be no "supported" OS but the latest version with the latest security patches, that way they can prevent this whole date of supported versions debacle.

I've seen similar problems with each major update and been stuck on versions before without the ability to even update that are hard to work around.

Edit: With that said I'm in the fast insider ring so I get that more granular feeling. It's a gaming only rig so I'm completely happy losing everything now and again to reformats.

Become a Patron!
Back