Microsoft Issues Warning for Lower Performance and Stuttering in Some Games on Windows 11 22H2

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Microsoft has confirmed that Windows 11 22H2 may result in a less-than-ideal gaming experience, having published a new notification through its support site that warns users of lower-than-expected performance and stuttering in some games and apps with the latest version of its operating system.

See full article...

Well, one of our staff accidentally let MS upgrade to 11. Bound to happen sooner or later despite my many emails to them not to and especially since MS has been hammering us all with varied notifications to do it. Well, I decided to let it update to 22H2, and wow, talk about ham-fisted single-core usage for an update. I'm used to seeing such things but this is ridiculous.
1676578227024-png.2378

No exaggeration. It's been working on this update for the better part of a half hour now.

Attachments

• 1676578227024.png
    1676578227024.png
    537.8 KB · Views: 24
So windows update being normal then? Reminds me of that win7 "bug" where it would spend hours looking for some supposed update only to realize there wasn't any and stop after 6 hours of running at like 40% utilization if the machine was otherwise idle. I think that took me 2-3 hours to find out how to fix that one.

Lol! After about 30+ minutes it finally did a restart and then, a black screen. nothing. Had to do a facetime with the employee so I could see what was happening since I lost my remote connection and then literally had them unplug/plug it to get it to start up since it seemed like everytime they tried the power button it acted like it was going into sleep mode (no POST, nothing). I admit that I've seen other updates go sideways and long installs like this are usually a sign that something's not right, but this isn't a good 1st impression for me as I do consider these some pretty solid workstations. When it did finally come back I checked and it said that 22H2 failed so I've left it for now.

I must be in the minority here, but Windows 11 has been great for me so far, and I haven't had any issues in any game I've played..(knocks on wood).

I'll stick to Linux for general stuff as well as gaming. It's far from perfect for obvious reasons but it's good enough for the vast majority of the games I play. And in some cases the performance is better than in Windows.

I don't know. I guess I'm just getting too set in my ways but I really do feel like the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it mentality' with 10. I really don't like how all the stuff moved to the middle of the taskbar, nor am I happy with having to figure out where everything else got moved within the OS. The time I spent with it yesterday wasn't horrible, and so far the most time I've given to it, but I just don't feel that it is even needed. I could tell that a lot of stuff is still there under the hood but I'm really burnt out with re-finding crap all the time. This is the first time since leaving XP that I've really buckled down with not upgrading to a new OS and knowing that 12 is only about a year away gives me no motivation to try 11 right now. If 12 launches as a disaster then I'll reconsider 11 but for now I'm not really interested.

What I don't understand is why MS keeps attempting to put out new OSes every few years. People have been saying for years now that MS doesn't derive much of their revenue from OS sales anymore and with all the cuts to the OS division I don't doubt that a bit. There's no reason to keep putting out a different version every three years just like there's no reason to keep changing UI elements and where everything is located in the OS like they have been constantly doing outside of make work for the OS people. Outside of moving things around and the worsening UI there isn't much difference between 10 and 11 and I highly doubt there's anything in 11 which couldn't have been done to 10.

In my opinion MS has been on a downhill slide in OSes since Win2k. In many cases OS usability has only gotten worse since then. Win 7 was the only gem since then (especially since it was the last OS designed for actual computers instead of touch screens) and it had enough issues of its own but since 7 it has been more negatives than positives for each release.

Become a Patron!
Back