Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony Agree to Loot Box Disclosures by 2020

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Starting next year, gamers will be given a better idea of what titles feature loot boxes and how much they're going to get nickel and dimed if they can't resist temptation. Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony announced their commitment today for adding labels that warn of in-game purchases, as well as disclosures of "the relative rarity or probabilities of obtaining randomized virtual items in games."

Activision Blizzard, Bandai Namco Entertainment, Bethesda, Bungie, Electronic Arts, Take-Two Interactive, Ubisoft, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, and Wizards of the Coast have also made similar pledges. The decision mirrors Apple and Google's decision for mandating lootbox odds disclosure in mobile games.

Some notable ESA member publishers who haven't made such a commitment include 505 Games, Capcom, CI Games, Deep Silver, Disney Interactive Studios, Epic Games, Focus Home Interactive, Gearbox Publishing, GungHo, Intellivision Entertainment, Kalypso, Konami, Magic Leap, NCsoft, Natsume, Nexon, Rebellion, Riot Games, Sega, Square Enix, THQ Nordic, Tencent, and Marvelous.

Sounds like some people might be worrying about possible legislation coming thru in the future. The EU seems to be taking some notice. I think the only reason we're not hearing about it so much here in the U.S. is that we have so many other more tragic dramas to be worried about at the moment. Either way I'm glad for this step.

Let me tell you exactly how this will go down. Games will institute a 'launch window' of loot box odds. These will be VERY kind to early adopters. Hell it might even become a preorder perk. 'Pre order now to improve your xxx box odds by 15% for life!' Then in the description on the game where loot boxes are. 'Loot box odds are set at a generous 10% chance to obtain rare or better loot and 5% to obtain elite uber legendary loot or better. **'

Then when you buy the game and open the manual or online manual you'll get to the point about the loot containers.

'Loot box odds on packaging are to reflect the launch window and are subject to change and tweaking after the first 90 days from launch. Please check patch updates for specific details of any loot box odds modifications or new items obtainable through them'

then after 90 days.

'After consideration for our player base and based on player feedback we have decided to adjust loot box odds to make the rare items a bit more harder to obtain. You can also obtain these items through boss drops as well! Please enjoy.'

'Loot box percentages are now .1% for rare or better or .005% for the uber legendary loot or better.'

Why... because these are some shady mother truckers that are here for YOUR MONEY not your good feelings.

nottoplay-480x420.jpg

I remember when people go upset about map packs costing money, which I bought for games I actually played. This whole cosmetic nonsense never even interested me in the slightest. Oh I can pay $5 for some virtual bling which nobody cares about! Loot boxes are the same thing, if they actually contain useful items I just don't buy that game. I'm losing interest in Ubisoft games since they seem to have shifted to endless grinding or paying extra $ to cut down on that grinding. At the end of the day I still consider gaming a form of entertainment so if it's not fun I'm just not going to buy into it anymore.

I remember when people go upset about map packs costing money, which I bought for games I actually played. This whole cosmetic nonsense never even interested me in the slightest. Oh I can pay $5 for some virtual bling which nobody cares about! Loot boxes are the same thing, if they actually contain useful items I just don't buy that game. I'm losing interest in Ubisoft games since they seem to have shifted to endless grinding or paying extra $ to cut down on that grinding. At the end of the day I still consider gaming a form of entertainment so if it's not fun I'm just not going to buy into it anymore.

Well so far the games Ubisoft makes are not MMO style so my favorite gaming site cheathappens.com makes it so those loot boxes that can be bought with in game currency or the epic currency are freee and I can buy 50 at a go if I so please. And really that's the way it should be. I'll buy the game but don't try to sell me BS boosters. Now selling me expansions of content I'll buy. But not just game boosters.

Become a Patron!
Back