Microsoft Officially Breaks Up with Internet Explorer on Valentine’s Day as It Rolls Out an Update to Disable the Aged Browser

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
It has been known for some time that Internet Explorer's end was on the horizon and Microsoft has officially retired the nearly 30-year-old browser that was released in 1995. Microsoft officially announced that it would be retiring IE in June 2022 and has rolled out an update, along with multiple announcements, on February 14 to disable it and redirect Windows users to Edge.

See full article...

Well, anyone using ILO 2's and ILO 3's on HP servers will have a tough time with this. You can use Firefox under version 84 but nothing newer than that. I'm sure this is a problem with older Dell boxes as well.

Well, anyone using ILO 2's and ILO 3's on HP servers will have a tough time with this. You can use Firefox under version 84 but nothing newer than that. I'm sure this is a problem with older Dell boxes as well.
Yup, and older Dell boxes don't work with Edge either. We have some old web apps that still use silverlight, client's don't want to pay to update them, so.

And Edge sucks.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a regedit value that can be changed to restore it as well, assuming that the app is still somewhere on the system. The hard part would be if MS has updated the exe with code to direct to Edge but I might be giving them to much credit for that.

Don't forget VNX's for old environments that companies are reticent to dispose of. Look into it because Dell has a special build of Firefox install with detailed instructions to support that old *** java environment without IE.

Planned obsolescence, how neat. Does it not occur to them, that some of us might use explorer not out of desire, but because we can't use anything else?

You know... if IE were... say... a regular old third party program... you could just download any old revision you wanted to and be happy.

But imagine this, if you try to integrate it deeply into your operating system, weird security crap starts to happen. Who would ever have thought that would have been a bad idea. And you can't just leave old revisions laying around, because you've now become liable for those security issues.

What a ****show. I'm glad IE died a horrible death. I feel bad for all those "legacy" things that still require it (yeah, I realize they exist, I have a few myself).

Become a Patron!
Back