Microsoft Unveils Dual-Screen Surface Devices: Surface Neo and Surface Duo

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Microsoft teased that today's Surface event would be very special, and it wasn't kidding. The company not only unveiled updated versions of the Surface Pro and Surface Laptop, but also a completely new category of devices to usher in an era of dual-screen, mobile computing: the Surface Neo and Surface Duo.

These represent the culmination of Microsoft's decades-long efforts to create a game-changing Android phone and dual-screen tablet device, which began with the fabled Courier concept. The latter will run a variant of Windows 10 called Windows 10X, which was designed specifically for dual-screen PCs. Both will launch Holiday 2020.

Surface Neo is dual-screen device built for productivity on Windows 10X, an expression of Windows 10. A 360-degree full-friction hinge connects two 9” screens, enabling Surface Neo to adapt to whatever posture you need in the moment. When you open it you have a full-size 13” display in the thinnest LCD in its class. It’s built for productivity and multitasking like a true PC would be – running full productivity apps, with a removable keyboard and compatibility with Surface Pen and Bluetooth® mouse.

Surface Duo is the first Surface to fit in your pocket. Surface Duo brings together the best of Microsoft productivity experiences, Android apps and Surface hardware design into a single device you can take anywhere. And, yes, it makes phone calls. It has two paper-thin 5.6-inch screens that unfold to 8.3 inches, and just like Surface Neo, it can be used in a variety of modes to let you work the way you’d like.

I don't have any particular use for this, but it's still a nifty idea. Hopefully it's good.

I admit when I heard they coming out with yet another mobile customized OS I was highly skeptical. After seeing this I can understand why. I haven't bought a new tablet in around 6 six years so I might pick up one of these. I'll wait and see how it fares in the reviews first though.

Become a Patron!
Back