MSI Intends to Continue Afterburner Overclocking Application

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
MSI has confirmed that it will continue developing its Afterburner overclocking application, contradicting earlier reports from Russian developer Alexey "Unwinder" Nicolaychuk that suggested the project has been "semi-abandoned," with him not getting paid because of the ongoing war in Ukraine. "We full intend to continue with MSI Afterburner," reads a statement that MSI sent to PC Gamer. A Russian national, Nicolaychuk is also known for his work with the RivaTuner Statistics Server.

See full article...

Well, as they say, the proof is in the pudding. MSI needs to actually show effort on this by updating it instead of a statement and what about the developer behind it? We know it's not their fault regarding war sanctions but leaving him high-n-dry isn't exactly helping either. Also, why the lack of support for him or letting the public know before this?

I use a lot of MSI products and like the company but it seems like some balls were dropped and it's disheartening they waited until stories broke about this to issue a statement.

I think it's rather sh!tty of MSI to not pay the man for his work simply because he's russian. As if he has anything to do with the war.

That leaves a bad taste in my mouth, so much so that I'll not buy another MSI product.

I think it's rather sh!tty of MSI to not pay the man for his work simply because he's russian. As if he has anything to do with the war.

That leaves a bad taste in my mouth, so much so that I'll not buy another MSI product.
It's not MSI CHOOSING not to pay them. You try being a corporation and sending an entity in Russa money. See how that works out for you when the CIA or it's equivalent comes asking if you know what the **** a trade block is and exactly how screwed you are about to be.

Yeah.
Unwinder himself said, it wasnt MSIs fault.
Its the sanctions from the invasion of Ukraine. Still, the guy has to eat.
We just have to wait and see.
The whole thing started with a guy on guru3d asking why AB hadnt been updated to his 7900 XTX.....Unwinder hasnt been paid for over a year.

Of all the bizarre f'd up situations to come up with GPUs in the last few years this is by far the one I never saw coming. Not that exploding or melting components is of light concern but this software is one of those things that isn't normally an issue.

Of all the bizarre f'd up situations to come up with GPUs in the last few years this is by far the one I never saw coming. Not that exploding or melting components is of light concern but this software is one of those things that isn't normally an issue.
I didn't even think of it either but lo and behold, it was actually square G-4 on my bingo card, right between "Aliens invade and destroy all advanced chip fabrication facilities in first strike" and "Transoceanic ship carrying GPU shipment catches fire, sinking massive numbers in Pacific ocean"

Plenty of talent on both sides of that conflict that have been impacted - most have tried to keep working, and at least the ones in Ukraine can be paid!

Become a Patron!
Back