MSI MPG A1000G/A850G/A750G PCIE5 Power Supplies

Brent_Justice

Administrator
Staff member
Introduction Computing evolves, and individual components within computers, and so it is time for the power supply to evolve. ATX 2.0 Power Supplies are in the rear-view mirror as ATX 3.0 Power Supplies make their debut. MSI is leading that charge, with the launch of its PCIE5 ATX 3.0 compatible power supplies with a real […]

Go to post

Thanks, @Brent_Justice for all these intro-breakdowns of new tech and architectures. There's a lot happening these days and it's nice having a quick resource to go back to and refresh with before making a purchase decision.

Almost a month later and still no sign of these. Has MSI given any word on when we'll start seeing these in stores?

With a 4090 on the way and no word from EVGA on a cable (possibly cablemod?) I was thinking about another PSU myself, but no word on availability. You would think these would be available once the new video cards hit the market.

With a 4090 on the way and no word from EVGA on a cable (possibly cablemod?) I was thinking about another PSU myself, but no word on availability. You would think these would be available once the new video cards hit the market.
Yes thst kinda annoys me to. I sent a duppprt request in a d got back. Use the adaptor.

1000W models are going to become the BASELINE model in a couple of years.. Calling it now...

1000W models are going to become the BASELINE model in a couple of years.. Calling it now...
We're already more or less there; take the power limits off an i7 or R7 and a top-end GPU and you're already at 700W before the rest of the system.

This means that 850W is just enough, which to most of us means get the next highest capacity unit.

I'd only be comfortable with 850W or lower if power limits were planned in to the build.

The 1000w version of this PSU is selling ridiculously quick. I thought about getting one a few times, but I'd be pushing it with my current system. Price gouging is definitely not reserved for just GPU's this time. Too bad the higher wattage variants aren't available at all right now.

Remember when PSUs were that part that so many didn't pay attention to beyond a certain wattage or energy rating? Now with ATX 3.0 they've become the latest hot-ticket item. I, and others, noticed that one of those 4090 reports was from someone who managed to snag a 1300W MSI somehow, in China.

Remember when PSUs were that part that so many didn't pay attention to beyond a certain wattage or energy rating? Now with ATX 3.0 they've become the latest hot-ticket item. I, and others, noticed that one of those 4090 reports was from someone who managed to snag a 1300W MSI somehow, in China.
All these people grabbing these 1000W ATX 3.0 power supplies may regret it later on if they throw in a 4090 with their other high end components. I did many of calculators on my main system, and it was around 930 to 950W, but having the headroom is always best practice.

All these people grabbing these 1000W ATX 3.0 power supplies may regret it later on if they throw in a 4090 with their other high end components. I did many of calculators on my main system, and it was around 930 to 950W, but having the headroom is always best practice.
I totally agree. I feel I'm at the edge of the comfort zone with the 1000W one I have with my 5800X3D/3090 Ti. I want to drop a 1200-1300W in there when I can. My other rig has a 1200W (from the days when I ran 2-3 GPUs) but both are ATX 2.0.

I feel I'm at the edge of the comfort zone with the 1000W one I have with my 5800X3D/3090 Ti
Really, this would be fine on an 850W unit; the 5800X3D simply cannot pull consequential levels of power without imploding, after all. 1000W should be quite comfortable for these parts. Would be fine for a newer i9 for gaming too - with the understanding that if you run synthetic loads on both CPU and GPU simultaneously you could, but not absolutely will, run into problems.

My other rig has a 1200W (from the days when I ran 2-3 GPUs) but both are ATX 2.0.
Not even a decade ago, I ran Crossfire and then SLI with an overclocked i7 on a 650W unit. The biggest change has been the explosion of load TDPs for GPUs; CPUs are still ~200W max for most desktop workloads including gaming, with most closer to 100W.

I'll say that I'm also a proponent of not skimping on PSUs. The difference in price between quality 750W / 850W / 1000W units is pretty compressed during seasonal sales, so it doesn't really hurt to grab the next highest unit most of the time.

Im running a 5900X and 3080. At stock clocks right now, if I push CPU and GPU simultaneously, I clear 650W, and sometimes push 700W.

Most of the time gaming, it sits right at 600W. The difference there mostly being that most games I play almost idle the CPU.

Now, if I wanted to push overclocks, obviously all bets are off on power draw. But even at that modest power level it will heat up my office noticeably over time: 1F over 2-3 hours.

So, at least for me, any increase in power for what I’m running isn’t worth it. Along with needing a bigger PSU. Aong with needing a bigger UPS. Along with needing more HVAC for my office. Along with the 2 other computers in that room and already pushing the line on tripping the circuit breaker.

The 3080 is a 320W TDP card at stock, and with that I think I’ve found as high as I want to go.

Become a Patron!
Back