MSI Really Wants You to Create

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
All white motif. Optional 5k HDR 600 ultra-wide display. Pretty sure we know whose market MSI trying gain a foothold in. MSI has established themselves in the gaming laptop market for a while now. Now they are eyeing another lucrative market for content creators and designers. Price is of yet unannounced for the latest offering, the P100, but I do have to give them credit for some nice options. The “P” designates Prestige Series Desktop.

msi-side-views-1024x289.png

I am a fan of cases than can breathe and right away you can see that MSI has put thought into that. Only downside is that the cooling fan on the right seems to be the only one in the case. I only say “seems” because the spec and data sheet simply states fan cooler in the cooling section. It is possible that with this sideways fan and GPU mounting the case may only need the single fan. The only real other thing I see against is the max PSU offered is 650 watt. You’ll see what I mean below.

Here’s some nice options. How about an i9 9900k cpu with up to 64GB DDR4 memory? Need some GPU beefiness then throw in a MSI RTX2080TI. There’s also mixed SSD options for M.2 including PCIe and Optane. Unfortunately I think that with using a 9900k and 2080TI there should’ve been a 800-850 watt offering. The 650 watt will get the job done but probably working a little harder than it should when everything is under load. Here’s a link to the data sheet. The optional 5k display is also 100% sRGB rated. Throw in 98% DCI-P3 and things ought to look pretty nice.

The P100 is marketed as something to be customized. You can pick your options when buying but you can see with the pictures that the case does provide accessibility. There’s also their Creator OSD for managing different profiles and settings for different projects. From a sleek looking case to some powerful options the P100 checks a lot of the best things for the market it’s aimed at.
Thanks to KITGURU for mentioning this beauty.

I am more interested in getting the case by itself, but I know MSI won't sale that as a standalone.
I agree. I skim thru a lot of case reviews on many different sites and this is the first one in a while that's caught my attention. Since I'm still using air for everything I really look at ventilation. I love the functionality of the HAF's that I use but they don't even compare to the aesthetics of this which looks to have some very similar characteristics.

Seems someone else is throwing their white hat into this ring too.

I find it interesting that these 'creator' systems actually don't have workstation class hardware in them.

If I'm designing something for a real creator I am expecting to see a threadripper or Xeon class CPU. 64 - 128GB of ram, and a actual professional grade GPU either a quattro RTX 6000 or the equivelant from AMD.

Instead we see Desktop class hardware for gamers... I don't see the point. Either you're getting started at it where it would make more sense to find an IT friend and build something specific to your need. Or you just want a faster gaming box and think these Creator Editions with white cases are somehow better?

I appreciate that there is a market for this hardware... But even Apple is using Xeon's in their serious creator machines.

I would personally do this with a current generation threadripper running watercooling. A Moderatly powerful professional GPU perhaps even two with the high end SLI Bridge. 128GB of ram. A NVME boot drive and a PCIE or additional NVME scratch drive, as well as a larger storage drive (or external storage.) Paired with a couple of displays at a minimum 4k. Again higher end with good color gamut.

And it would easily be in the 12k price range. But it's an Investment! (And considering the cost of software not even the largest part of your investment to do this professionally.)

I find it interesting that these 'creator' systems actually don't have workstation class hardware in them.

If I'm designing something for a real creator I am expecting to see a threadripper or Xeon class CPU. 64 - 128GB of ram, and a actual professional grade GPU either a quattro RTX 6000 or the equivelant from AMD.

Instead we see Desktop class hardware for gamers... I don't see the point. Either you're getting started at it where it would make more sense to find an IT friend and build something specific to your need. Or you just want a faster gaming box and think these Creator Editions with white cases are somehow better?

I appreciate that there is a market for this hardware... But even Apple is using Xeon's in their serious creator machines.

I would personally do this with a current generation threadripper running watercooling. A Moderatly powerful professional GPU perhaps even two with the high end SLI Bridge. 128GB of ram. A NVME boot drive and a PCIE or additional NVME scratch drive, as well as a larger storage drive (or external storage.) Paired with a couple of displays at a minimum 4k. Again higher end with good color gamut.

And it would easily be in the 12k price range. But it's an Investment! (And considering the cost of software not even the largest part of your investment to do this professionally.)

Pretty much agree with you. I think they're trying to aim a bit lower in order to see if there's a market to tap into with the $3000-$4000 range instead of the $5000-$10,000+ segment. These are most definitely more along the lines of a high end gaming system, and even then not quite right, than true creator solutions but at an entry level for creators.

Pretty much agree with you. I think they're trying to aim a bit lower in order to see if there's a market to tap into with the $3000-$4000 range instead of the $5000-$10,000+ segment. These are most definitely more along the lines of a high end gaming system, and even then not quite right, than true creator solutions but at an entry level for creators.

It's kind of like the difference in quality between a 'badass' camera on your smart phone and a true 10+ megapixel DSLR with good lenses.

Sure you can take some good photo's with your phone. Heck you can even touch them up some.

But a real pro with real hardware will be able to exploit what they have to do better over all than your all in one not quite there device will.

So for 99% of folks the high end smartphone is perfect.

For the pro's they still lug around the camera case and 10k in hardware.

It's kind of like the difference in quality between a 'badass' camera on your smart phone and a true 10+ megapixel DSLR with good lenses.

Sure you can take some good photo's with your phone. Heck you can even touch them up some.

But a real pro with real hardware will be able to exploit what they have to do better over all than your all in one not quite there device will.

So for 99% of folks the high end smartphone is perfect.

For the pro's they still lug around the camera case and 10k in hardware.
Except this guy: https://petapixel.com/2018/01/30/steven-soderbergh-shot-latest-film-iphone-heres-trailer/

Just messin' with ya, I totally get what you mean and agree.

Become a Patron!
Back