Naughty Dog Celebrates The Last of Us Part I on PC as Steam Users Claim It’s Just Another Crappy PC Port

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Did Iron Galaxy screw up another highly anticipated PC port? It kind of looks like it, as early owners of The Last of Us Part I, which finally reached PC yesterday following months of exclusivity on Sony's PlayStation 5 consoles, have taken to Steam and other platforms to voice their disgust at what they claim is another shoddy port that's plagued by various problems, including random crashes, graphical anomalies, and other strange and/or surprising quirks, such as extremely long shader compilation times. The Last of Us Part I currently has a "Mostly Negative" rating on Steam, and while Naughty Dog has promised that it is looking into the PC port's issues, it's also published a new celebratory blog post that explains how it was thrilled to bring The Last of Us Part I to PC and was "determined to do this right."

See full article...

So far I have had no issues, 3 1/2 hours in and the game looks amazing. It did take a while for the shaders to compile.
I think perhaps the problems exist with weak systems and not taking the time to set the graphics up properly. There are a zillion settings choices and they are pretty well described.

Its a sloppy port with reportedly a bugged "oodle" compression driver being a cause of many issues. The graphics apparently proving yet again that 8GB is truly dead for 1440p and possibly even 1080p.

So far I have had no issues, 3 1/2 hours in and the game looks amazing. It did take a while for the shaders to compile.
I think perhaps the problems exist with weak systems and not taking the time to set the graphics up properly. There are a zillion settings choices and they are pretty well described.
On low/midrange systems it takes 2+ hours for the shaders to compile (that's on an i3 12300) according to a youtuber I watch

It's unacceptable

Wow so glad they finally got around to porting a PS3 game to PC 10 years later
Well, technically they were supposed to port the PS5 remake of the 10 year old PS3 game to PC.

This makes me angry, because presumably they knew they are going to release Part1 on PC when they started developing it. They should've made it as a multi-platform title from the get go.

They are doing much more damage to their image in the long term compared to whatever they save on development costs handling it like this.

Become a Patron!
Back