NETGEAR Launches First Wi-Fi 7 Router for $699.99

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Wi-Fi 7 is seemingly here, but those who want to be on the cutting edge of wireless technology should prepare to pay a premium for it. NETGEAR has announced the Nighthawk RS700, the first Wi-Fi 7 router, and according to a press release that the leading provider of connected products shared today, it costs $699.99—a substantial increase over what the usual router might be priced at. That said, the RS700 promises to deliver some excellent performance, including up to 19 Gbps of what NETGEAR has described as blazing-fast WiFi, more than double the speed of previous generations. The NETGEAR Nighthawk WiFi 7 Tri-Band Router RS700S will be available in the US starting in Q2 2023, on NETGEAR.com first and at other major retailers subsequently.

See full article...

Seems overkill. Let's see what it offers for wired connectivity. There it is... 10 gig internet wan port and a mix of 10 and 1 gig normal ports. Wonder if they will step down to 5 and 2.5 gig for consumer grade devices?

Seems overkill. Let's see what it offers for wired connectivity. There it is... 10 gig internet wan port and a mix of 10 and 1 gig normal ports. Wonder if they will step down to 5 and 2.5 gig for consumer grade devices?
Generally not a problem on more recent devices!

Meh. If only Netgear would better support their current routers with firmware that doesn't bork wifi most of the time.

Hehe, 700$ HILARIOUS (for home use). Whats the point of this thing in a home?. Looks sweet for a business though.

Meanwhile I am still on 802.11ac (I hate the new wifi 4-7 nomenclature, it feels dumbed down) and see no reason at all to upgrade.

Maybe that's because I use wifi as it was intended, only for laptops and mobile devices. Everything that is fized in one place gets wired Ethernet. Only things that have to move use wifi, and those things are generally only used for lightweight **** like web browsing and checking emails.

"Wifi 7" may be much faster than my 802.11ac, but it still isn't reliable or fast enough to replace wired Ethernet, and wifi never will be.

Wired Ethernet for life.

It's for the small segment of home users that have 10 gig internet. My best guess.

Networking has WAY more uses than just accessimg the internet.

On my home network I'd argue that 95+% of the traffic is local only, sending data back and forth between the NAS and local clients, as well as streaming video from the MythTB server, etc. etc. without ever going out over the WAN.

Networking does not equal the Internet.

I'd argue 10gig local speeds have value even if you have no internet service at all.

Heck, I would even like to upgrade to 25gig and get NVME like speeds over the network.

The only difference is, I am not going to do it wirelessly.

It's going to be a mix of copper and fiber. Wifi is annoying, untealiable, not secure, and doesn't live up to performance expectations due to interference and only being half duplex. As such I only use it where absolutely necessary. Everything else is wired.

On my home network I'd argue that 95+% of the traffic is local only, sending data back and forth between the NAS and local clients, as well as streaming video from the MythTB server, etc. etc. without ever going out over the WAN.

Networking does not equal the Internet.

I'd argue 10gig local speeds have value even if you have no internet service at all.

Heck, I would even like to upgrade to 25gig and get NVME like speeds over the network.

The only difference is, I am not going to do it wirelessly.

It's going to be a mix of copper and fiber. Wifi is annoying, untealiable, not secure, and doesn't live up to performance expectations due to interference and only being half duplex. As such I only use it where absolutely necessary. Everything else is wired.
And you are the father of edge cases.

This may be true, but in an average household, most of their traffic is directly to the internet. Very few homes have anything local served or stored - it's all out in the cloud.

I'd wager most people don't even know how to share files across PCs without resorting to a thumb drive (and it doesn't help than Windows keeps breaking SMB)

This may be true, but in an average household, most of their traffic is directly to the internet. Very few homes have anything local served or stored - it's all out in the cloud.

I'd wager most people don't even know how to share files across PCs without resorting to a thumb drive (and it doesn't help than Windows keeps breaking SMB)
My old router had a usb for a sort of cheqp nas. Plug a usb drive on it, tested it, proceeded to never use it.

Meanwhile I am still on 802.11ac (I hate the new wifi 4-7 nomenclature, it feels dumbed down) and see no reason at all to upgrade.

Maybe that's because I use wifi as it was intended, only for laptops and mobile devices. Everything that is fized in one place gets wired Ethernet. Only things that have to move use wifi, and those things are generally only used for lightweight **** like web browsing and checking emails.

"Wifi 7" may be much faster than my 802.11ac, but it still isn't reliable or fast enough to replace wired Ethernet, and wifi never will be.

Wired Ethernet for life.

I'm on a mix. I added a Unifi U6 Pro which is WiFi 6. My other two AP's are still AP-AC-LR's so I get signal all over my property.

Honestly, I'm with you. I only use WiFi for my phone, tablet and firestick. AC is good enough for streaming anything. Only reason I added the U6 Pro was to fill a very weird dead spot in my living room. I'm guessing that the long range AC-LR's have a strange coverage pattern that doesn't work well at close range. But I get **** good signal 150 yards away at the back of my property!

My old router had a usb for a sort of cheqp nas. Plug a usb drive on it, tested it, proceeded to never use it.

Not going to lie.

The concept of having my data on my edge device weirds me out a bit.

Especially considering how poor consumer router companies are at keeping up with security patches.

Not going to lie.

Especially considering how poor consumer router companies are at keeping up with security patches.
Kind if why I use Asus with AI-Protect.

Not going to lie.

It's not meant for people who run 10Gb LANs and their own rack servers.

It's not meant for people who run 10Gb LANs and their own rack servers.

Yeah, but everyone has data they would prefer would not fall into the wrong hands.

It's pretty universally regarded as a "bad idea" to store data on an edge device. That **** should be segregated as all hell.

Last edited:
Yeah, but everyone has data they would prefer would not fall into the wrong hands.

It's pretty universally regarded as a "bad idea" to store data on an egde device. That **** should be segregated as all hell.
Let’s be real - Most people would give it willingly to Facebook or Google and give two thoughts about it.

You are not wrong though.

Kind if why I use Asus with AI-Protect.
Just picked up an Asus router for my home to replace an unreliable Orbi router with satellite. I love the AI-Protect feature and it is one of the reasons I bought said router. Is it overkill for my purposes? Probably, but I have four PC's here at home that share files back and forth and the extra speed and reliability it provides is great. I have Fiber internet as well so I already see a speed difference over the Orbi.

Become a Patron!
Back