New Bluetooth Standard Announced: "LE Audio" Promises Better Quality at Lower Data Rates

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The Bluetooth SIG has announced a big update that brings improved audio quality and stream sharing to one of the world's most popular wireless standards.

"LE Audio" utilizes a new audio codec called LC3 (Low Complexicity Communications Codec) that allows for high-quality audio even at low data rates. The benefits are obvious for audiophiles, but the codec also happens to be low power, giving headphone and speaker engineers more design opportunities.

Another new feature is Multi-Stream Audio. This feature "enables the transmission of multiple, independent, synchronized audio streams," which allows for improved performance (e.g., better stereo imaging) of wireless earbuds and similar devices.

Last but not least is Broadcast Audio, or Audio Sharing. This allows an audio source device to broadcast streams to an unlimited number of Bluetooth devices.

Building on 20 years of innovation, LE Audio will not only enhance the performance of Bluetooth audio, but will bring all its benefits to people with hearing loss and introduce Audio Sharing, an innovative new use case with the potential to once again change the way we connect with each other and experience the world around us.

Great a new BT standard that won't be compatible with any of my devices.

I would just like to be able to pair one set of headphones to multiple devices easily. It should be easy, but it isn't.

Great a new BT standard that won't be compatible with any of my devices.

I would just like to be able to pair one set of headphones to multiple devices easily. It should be easy, but it isn't.

Yeah I know exactly what you mean. I'm having issues with my phone and new car. Can pair it but can't send or receive texts. It's a real pain.

I just want to be able to tick the box for an option of a Android or IOS head unit for my car that integrates with my phone. I'd go so far as a Samsung/whatever manufacturer head unit so I can more assured of device compatibility. This is like the days of not being able to mix different IDE drives from manufacturers because they were sabotaging competitors on the same IDE chain/controller.

Become a Patron!
Back