New Details on AMD's "Big" Navi 12 and "Small" Navi 14 Leak

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The veil of secrecy surrounding AMD's high-end and low-end Radeon Navi GPUs is slowly being lifted. 3DCenter.org has shared new details on "big" Navi 12 and "small" Navi 14, which are rumored to launch this year.

The more powerful sibling, Navi 12, could feature as many as 4096 stream processors and a memory clock of 16 Gbps. That's a definite improvement over the current top-performing RX GPU (5700 XT 50th Anniversary Edition), which tops out at 2560 stream processors and a memory clock of 14 Gbps. Navi 12 is expected to put up a good fight against NVIDIA's GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER.

On the lower range is the Navi 14, which will offer 1536 stream processors, 4/8 GB of GDDR6 memory, a 128-bit memory bus, and 190 to 240 GB/s of memory bandwidth. This guy will challenge NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 1660.

If these rumoured specifications are correct, AMD has set themselves up for a lot of success in late 2019, challenging Nvidia with strong products in all areas of the GPU market. The question now is, when does Nvidia plan to respond with their own post-Turing graphics offerings? Nvidia still has the option to jump to a 7nm lithography node.

Still a generation behind but I am interested to see if games will be better optimized for AMD with all the next gen consoles running Navi hardware.

I thought I read where "Big Navi" was supposed to be the "nvidia killer"......

Looks like it's a dollar short if the GPU is only going to compete with the 2080 and not the Ti.
Maybe the price will make up the difference?

Still a generation behind but I am interested to see if games will be better optimized for AMD with all the next gen consoles running Navi hardware.
What does "a generation behind" even mean? Sure, the top-end Nvidia card gets higher fps in games, but that just means it is faster, not generationally advanced. If the feature set is comparable, and the price to performance ratio is similar, I don't see how that could be a generational gap.

From a technology standpoint, if the games are developed to better take advantages of AMD's specific technology, then it will be nVidia that could be considered "a generation behind" as they would not have incorporated technologies that take advantage of modern games.

"From a technology standpoint, if the games are developed to better take advantages of AMD's specific technology, then it will be nVidia that could be considered "a generation behind" as they would not have incorporated technologies that take advantage of modern games. "

(I am not an nvidia fanboy by any stretch)

How do you develop for technology you don't know exists?

I think the "generation behind" simply means that AMD has failed to develop new GPUs that jump ahead or best nvidia's current offerings.
AMD has not really been leading the pack in GPU capability since the R9 290X.
The 5700 XT is a really nice GPU but honestly only competes with the RTX 2070 head to head.

I've been waiting for AMD to jump in, like they have done with Ryzen/Threadripper.....but nothing yet.......

What I meant was the 2080ti released in September 2018 and this won’t be available till Christmas 2019. So it’s a year late, and not faster.

Just to make clear, I run a Vega 64 in my main rig, before that, ran an R290, and generally have rooted for AMD. Consumers need a strong AMD to prevent the recent Nvidia price gouging.

If this card is ~$599 it will be a decent value and should see some people jump on it.

Oh well, I had a hope they would compete at the high end.
I guess prices will stay high and we wont get something much faster next year.

Become a Patron!
Back