New Mass Effect Game In "Very Early Development" at BioWare Edmonton

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
BioWare may have fumbled with Mass Effect: Andromeda, but the franchise is far from dead. According to Kotaku's report regarding Anthem's overhaul, a new Mass Effect game is in "early development" at the Edmonton studio.

This is the same office that was responsible for the original trilogy and Dragon Age series. Fans are skeptical at how it'll turn out, however, as Anthem lead producer and Mass Effect: Andromeda producer Mike Gamble is overseeing the title.

This past N7 Day--an annual holiday BioWare holds every November 7 to celebrate Mass Effect--several BioWare tweets hinted that work on a new Mass Effect title had officially begun. "Where do you want Mass Effect to go in the future?" Gamble tweeted, following up that there are still "so many stories yet to tell."

As much as BioWare has missed the mark lately, I'm pretty skeptical about it. I'm not even all that excited about a potential Mass Effect trilogy remaster. While I'd like this for the first two games, the third one would be a problem as the base ending and Extended Cut endings suck ***. There are a deluge of mods for the game that fix everything that was wrong with it and a remastered game will likely be totally incompatible with those mods.

As much as BioWare has missed the mark lately, I'm pretty skeptical about it. I'm not even all that excited about a potential Mass Effect trilogy remaster. While I'd like this for the first two games, the third one would be a problem as the base ending and Extended Cut endings suck ***. There are a deluge of mods for the game that fix everything that was wrong with it and a remastered game will likely be totally incompatible with those mods.
What he said.

The only thing I'd want to see regarding a "remaster" is the first two games ported to the same engine and combat mechanics as the third game. That would include inventory and weapon mods and such. The story would need to be left completely alone and only the most minor changes regarding missions and how they play out to make them compatible with the third game's engine and mechanics.

Although I definitely wouldn't mind a revamp of "exploration" and resource gathering regarding the Mako in the first game and the horrible planet scanning in the second game.

As for a completely new game I have no faith it would end up as anything decent. I can't play Andromeda as I still need a better video card so I have no first hand experience but what I have heard isn't promising. I wouldn't expect a new game to be any better. Besides, this isn't the Bioware of old and any chance for iconic and amazing games from the company's heyday died long ago.

Andromeda is better than people give it credit for. The state of the game after all the patching is vastly different than what we had at launch. The narrative is good, the bad guys are a discount brand of enemies we've seen before, though the main bad guy is alright. The Ryder twins aren't nearly as entertaining as Shepard, which is the game's largest problem regarding the narrative and general game play.

It suffers from all the same problems that are common to open world games. There is so much content that any sense of urgency in the main quest gets lost and it creates pacing issues.

That said, the game has a good ending and the final missions are excellent.

Become a Patron!
Back