Nintendo Switch Lite: A More Portable Switch

alxlwson

Staff member
There have been rumors and grumblings circulating for quite some time about the possibility of a more portable Switch, as well as a more powerful unit for the TV gamers. We do have some news on the portable front- Nintendo announced the Switch Lite this morning.

Featuring a smaller 5.5″ screen compared to the current model’s 6.2″, better battery life, and no external display connectors, the Switch Lite is arriving in September for $199. The console will launch in three standard colors, as well as special editions for the new Pokemon games arriving later this year.

Nintendo has stated in the past that their mobile gaming division and flagship console side would remain separated, but this makes me wonder if the Switch Lite is testing the waters as a successor to the popular 3DS.

Check out Nintendo's official YouTube channel for more information!

Bleh, not an exciting product to me.

If it could still at least dock, ~maybe~.

Bleh, not an exciting product to me.

If it could still at least dock, ~maybe~.

I understand that. I've always been a huge fan of the Gameboy, and the 3DS that it has become. While it may not actually fall into that line, I do see it as another mobile gaming console rather than a flagship. Because of that, I have zero issues with it not having a dock. Just like with my 3DS and Gameboy's past, it'll stay in my backpack and get used when I'm on the road, airplane, etc...
It seems this was a calculated decision as well. In one interview I read, Nintendo is quoted as saying that mobile use of the console is extremely high.

I understand that. I've always been a huge fan of the Gameboy, and the 3DS that it has become. While it may not actually fall into that line, I do see it as another mobile gaming console rather than a flagship. Because of that, I have zero issues with it not having a dock. Just like with my 3DS and Gameboy's past, it'll stay in my backpack and get used when I'm on the road, airplane, etc...
It seems this was a calculated decision as well. In one interview I read, Nintendo is quoted as saying that mobile use of the console is extremely high.

I can actually say that I've seen families out in public and their kids are playing them. I admit that when I was that age I would've loved it then too. Nintendo has nearly always been about trying to find that untapped or under served market. It's kept them profitable and competitive for decades now even when they have a misfire or two.

I had these when I was kid in 1982. Things were awesome for road trips and actually had great battery life(buttons). 1st folding displays?

p.s. Really shocked at some of the ebay prices that popped up when I looked these up.

I can actually say that I've seen families out in public and their kids are playing them. I admit that when I was that age I would've loved it then too. Nintendo has nearly always been about trying to find that untapped or under served market. It's kept them profitable and competitive for decades now even when they have a misfire or two.

I had these when I was kid in 1982. Things were awesome for road trips and actually had great battery life(buttons). 1st folding displays?

View attachment 31

p.s. Really shocked at some of the ebay prices that popped up when I looked these up.

Wow! Completely forgot about those. It's crazy to think about painting an LCD cover for a map haha

Become a Patron!
Back