NVIDIA Announces GeForce RTX 4070 Ti for $799, “Faster than 3090 Ti”

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
NVIDIA has officially announced the GeForce RTX 4070 Ti, its third Ada Lovelace graphics card for gamers and creators, available beginning this Thursday, January 5, starting at $799.

See full article...

A 4070 should be a 400 dollar card... the top tier 4090 should be the 11 hundred dollar card and the 4080 should be a 700 dollar card. WTF is going on in this world?

A 4070 should be a 400 dollar card... the top tier 4090 should be the 11 hundred dollar card and the 4080 should be a 700 dollar card. WTF is going on in this world?
Apparently nvidia decided to linearly increase prices with performance.

remember when people were bitching about $500 dlls cards? Now $800 is considered great value, go figure.

remember when people were bitching about $500 dlls cards? Now $800 is considered great value, go figure.
It's bonkers. Unless I get like a 40% pay increase it makes no sense.

Well, if they sell, next round will start at 1099, and top out at 2k, I promise. AMD will keep loving their second fiddle place a toss you a 10% discount over Nvidias.

Yeah, so the 4070ti costs $100 more than the 1080TI did at launch.

On what planet does that make sense?

Each tier/segment has moved up a tier in pricing.

If I were to be fair, ever since I got into video cards in the mid 90's, I've seen prices creep. The trend, is not new for me, and I expect it now. However, I do not like it either, and wish it were different. Sadly, it will take a lot of people not buying things, to make a real change. Nodes are more expensive than ever, and cleverer tricks need to be done to make it worthwhile. It's always been a thin area for margins, and sadly it is making less and less sense for cheaper video cards. Could we see the complete erosion of new value video cards and a focus only on the high-end? It's a future that I see a possibility of, and that should sadden us all.

Yeah, so the 4070ti costs $100 more than the 1080TI did at launch.

On what planet does that make sense?
...the names mean whatever Nvidia wants them to mean, and cost whatever Nvidia is willing to give them to consumers for.

And to be clear, at these prices, neither AMD nor Nvidia are having difficulty selling their latest and greatest.

Could we see the complete erosion of new value video cards and a focus only on the high-end? It's a future that I see a possibility of, and that should sadden us all.
I think we're already seeing it, as you have an effective 'performance floor' for AAA-gaming. The middle seems to have mostly fallen out for the moment, so either you just need the minimum for whatever you're doing - and that minimum could be integrated into the CPU! - or you need the fastest thing you can afford.

I think there's still room for even higher-performance parts, and even higher prices. I'd prefer not to pay them, but with RT becoming ubiquitous, if performance can be scaled higher, there's still a market for that stuff.

...the names mean whatever Nvidia wants them to mean, and cost whatever Nvidia is willing to give them to consumers for.

And to be clear, at these prices, neither AMD nor Nvidia are having difficulty selling their latest and greatest.

I think we're already seeing it, as you have an effective 'performance floor' for AAA-gaming. The middle seems to have mostly fallen out for the moment, so either you just need the minimum for whatever you're doing - and that minimum could be integrated into the CPU! - or you need the fastest thing you can afford.

I think there's still room for even higher-performance parts, and even higher prices. I'd prefer not to pay them, but with RT becoming ubiquitous, if performance can be scaled higher, there's still a market for that stuff.
We can thank scalpers for the latest higher prices. People were paying upwards $2k for a RTX3090Ti just a few months ago, getting a RTX4090 for $1.600 sounds like a steal. Even better a RTX4070Ti that performs like a 3090Ti looks like the wholy grail.

Pricing aside the 4070Ti is a hell of a card. Spec wise I can't see how it can meet much less beat a 3090Ti, although I'm pretty sure it will only beat it at DLSS3 titles. Still not bad at all.

Pricing aside the 4070Ti is a hell of a card. Spec wise I can't see how it can meet much less beat a 3090Ti, although I'm pretty sure it will only beat it at DLSS3 titles. Still not bad at all.
Yeah, I think that's pretty much it right there, DLSS3. When it comes to rasterization I have my doubts but I could easily be wrong.

So what I’m getting from the name discussion, people would be more happy if the prices stayed the same and the 4070ti was called the 4080, the 4080 became a 4090, and the 4090 was renamed Titan

You could name it Super Starfish Fighter Number 1, for all I care, what matters is the price vs. performance vs. competition.

What I don't want to see is the price and performance scale up linearly gen on gen, which is what has happened.

Presuming the 4070ti (msrp 799) has the same performance as a 3090ti (msrp 2000) as suggested, the cost per frame has dropped around 60%. Said another way, performance per dollar would be up about 350%.

That seems OK doesn’t it?

Presuming the 4070ti (msrp 799) has the same performance as a 3090ti (msrp 2000) as suggested, the cost per frame has dropped around 60%. Said another way, performance per dollar would be up about 350%.

Except it won't be - DLSS 3.0 --> not comparable.

We'll see. Honestly, 3090Ti is still a great gpu. That level of performance for $800 isn't bad.

To clarify, I was referring to the 4080 and 4090, and extrapolating a possible pattern.

Each tier/segment has moved up a tier in pricing.
Yeah, but why? That's a rhetorical question, the answer is the crypto craze where they could sell anything at any price.
If I were to be fair, ever since I got into video cards in the mid 90's, I've seen prices creep. The trend, is not new for me, and I expect it now. l.
Price creep due to inflation is not the same as moving tiers up every generation. 3 gens later compared to 1xxx, we now have the mid range where the top end used to be. This is not sustainable. I'm not buying a new gpu until prices normalize and I bet a lot of people are in the same boat. They might sell through the limited supply of 4090s for now, but it won't last. Excessive stock of 4080s has already been a problem for them in November, at it only got worse since.

They have no trouble selling the top cards for now, but the majority of their profits and revenue always came from low and mid tier, exactly what they are having trouble selling now. With pricing the mid tier to where the top used to be just 5 years ago they effectively put them out of range for the majority of their mid tier customers. Some of whom might reluctantly buy lower end cards, or like me refuses to buy anything.
Yeah, I think that's pretty much it right there, DLSS3. When it comes to rasterization I have my doubts but I could easily be wrong.
From what I've seen DLSS3 is useless in practice, it is a gimmick, snake oil sales pitch. It produces glaring artifacts, increases lag so unless you are nvidia boasting numbers on graphs, it is worthless.
We'll see. Honestly, 3090Ti is still a great gpu. That level of performance for $800 isn't bad.
3090ti is a power hungry hog, but I know what you mean, that it's performance is still good enough for most. But good enough shouldn't be near $1000, it should be $300-350.

You could name it Super Starfish Fighter Number 1, for all I care, what matters is the price vs. performance vs. competition.

What I don't want to see is the price and performance scale up linearly gen on gen, which is what has happened.

It will continue to happen until the market completely drops out and resets.

Become a Patron!
Back