NVIDIA Apologizes for “Unprecedented” GeForce RTX 3080 Demand: Flagship GPU Sells Out in Seconds, Hits $80K on eBay

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-key-art-1024x576.jpg
Image: NVIDIA

If you accidentally slept in and missed out on the fun of refreshing store listings over and over for the chance of scoring a GeForce RTX 3080 this month, don’t worry, because it would have been a complete waste of time, anyway. Evidently, NVIDIA’s flagship GPU launch has been a bit of a disaster, with major websites imploding due to overwhelming demand. Prospective owners have taken to social media to shout, scream, and fume, claiming that the card sold out in as a little 15 seconds. Thanks, scalper bots…

the #RTX3080 sold out in 15 seconds. people who own the bots that do this **** can blow me, ebay should ban all these nerds. Stand together boys, dont buy these inflated cards, make them take the L...

Continue reading...

It's only unprecedented because no one actually had any cards to sell and the few who did sold them all to bots.

If you can go through your orders and identify a bot, why can't you stop the bot before the order ever gets placed.
I still feel that there was so little stock in hand, there wasn't all that much to sell, bots or no bots.
This launch was more paper than reality. Please AMD....pay attention here.
I had a card in my cart at newegg and it was snatched while the site crashed.
I've been at this a long time and I don't think I've ever seen this so bad, except maybe with the crypto-cash craze a couple of years ago.

Day 1 selling out is not much of a shock, it always happens. Especially online, so everyone who is crying that they pounded F5 for hours and missed out.... whatever. What is interesting is there was tiny little precious stock available in actual B&M stores. All the people camping out at Microcenter and other retail stores overnight, and they only had 10-15 cards PER STORE? And most of those were AIB cards. This was either intentional to hype up demand, or just poor planning. Or a "paper launch" but usually with those there are none even to be found anywhere.

The real picture will become clear in a week. If there is still no stock in a week, then this was a a known shortage of units.

And yeah the whole bot thing is interesting but we'll know in a day or 2 if any of those actually shipped.

And people flipping on ebay for double money, they can go f*ck themselves. That is pure greed.

Day 1 selling out is not much of a shock, it always happens. Especially online, so everyone who is crying that they pounded F5 for hours and missed out.... whatever. What is interesting is there was tiny little precious stock available in actual B&M stores. All the people camping out at Microcenter and other retail stores overnight, and they only had 10-15 cards PER STORE? And most of those were AIB cards. This was either intentional to hype up demand, or just poor planning. Or a "paper launch" but usually with those there are none even to be found anywhere.

The real picture will become clear in a week. If there is still no stock in a week, then this was a a known shortage of units.

And yeah the whole bot thing is interesting but we'll know in a day or 2 if any of those actually shipped.

And people flipping on ebay for double money, they can go f*ck themselves. That is pure greed.

I went to my local Best Buy and not only did they have nothing in stock but the sales guy said he's not sure if they're even going to be getting any, at least not any time soon. My local store carries quite a bit of PC gaming hardware including most all the 2000 series cards in stock so it's really surprising to me that they wouldn't get any.

Well, the original conspiracy stories were that Nvidia would not have enough FE's to sell at $699 and then ppl would be forced to buy much more expensive Partner cards. So far that is not going so great lol.

Also, somewhat unpopular opinion:
I really can't make myself to feel bad for people that won't get one right away.
I just don't see the suffering I guess :p

Makes me want to check microcenter living near one has its advantages.
Chicago here... 2 Micro Centers and 1 Fry within a 20min drive. We used to have a Tiger Direct store as well, but it was short lived.

So yes... living in the city with some of the highest numbers of homicides in the country has its advantages :LOL:

Well, the original conspiracy stories were that Nvidia would not have enough FE's to sell at $699 and then ppl would be forced to buy much more expensive Partner cards. So far that is not going so great lol.

I really can't make myself to feel bad for people that won't get one right away.
The other part comes later, if two months from now nothing is priced at msrp and there is plenty of inventory then yeah, the theory would have been true. Right now there is plenty of price distortion due to a paper launch, that isn't new. A lot of people buying just to sell it .

Stuff also could easily be out of stock for a while, both GTX 1080 and RTX 2080 were "sold out" for 2-3 months.

I'm sure lots of places will sell them above MSRP, but that is not necessarily because of a Evil Nvidia plan.

No one is forced to buy anything. It's just the usual case of people being impatient.

I was out near a BB so I stopped in for S&G

they had several 5700XTs in stock. A single 1660, a pair of 1669Tis, and several 710GTs

there were shelf tags for a 2080Ti (@$1299), two different 2080S ($899 and $799) and a few other 2000 Gen cards without any inventory

No shelf space, advertising, or visible inventory of 3080. I didn’t stick around long enough to talk to anyone about it though.

Well people were selling 2080Ti cards for less than $600 before the launch. Wish I would have bought one of them now seeing as how they're back up in price.

Become a Patron!
Back