NVIDIA Claims There Won’t Be an RTX 2080 Ti SUPER

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Every other GeForce RTX graphics card has been upgraded to SUPER status, so there must be a boosted version of the top part waiting in the wings, right? Maybe not.

TweakTown's Anthony Garreffa spoke to Jeff Fisher (senior vice president of NVIDIA's PC business) during the company's launch event for the SUPER cards and inquired whether there would be an RTX 2080 Ti SUPER. Fishers response was there "would not be" one.

NVIDIA revealed its new GeForce RTX SUPER graphics cards during E3 2019, revealing the full stack of SUPER cards in the GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER, RTX 2070 SUPER, and RTX 2080 SUPER. But what did this mean for the current cards? They are all replaced apart from the RTX 2080 Ti, and many have wondered if there will be an RTX 2080 Ti SUPER -- the answer is simple: no.

That's a pity. It was the only potential GPU upgrade I was interested in.

I'm still on my Pascal Titan X. I just can't justify spending on a 2080ti. The performance increase is too small for the money.

An RTX Titan gets a no from me as well, because the pricing is just insane. I could afford one, but at some point you just have to take a stance and say no, I won't overpay this much for ****, even when you have the money.

Other than that, this pretty much makes sense. The Super boards were a response to AMD's Navï. AMD is currently not a threat at the high end. Why would they give away more performance for less money to counter a threat that doesn't exist?

****ty, but true.

To me, AMD will be pretty much irrelevant in the GPU space until they start competing with Nvidia at the top performance levels. Current day 2080ti or RTX Titan. Who knows what in the future, but the top performing consumer/prosumer parts. If they can't do that they are bringing me no closer to my guaranteed 60fps minimum at 4k ultra, and that's all that matters.

That's a pity. It was the only potential GPU upgrade I was interested in.

I'm still on my Pascal Titan X. I just can't justify spending on a 2080ti. The performance increase is too small for the money.

An RTX Titan gets a no from me as well, because the pricing is just insane. I could afford one, but at some point you just have to take a stance and say no, I won't overpay this much for ****, even when you have the money.

Other than that, this pretty much makes sense. The Super boards were a response to AMD's Navï. AMD is currently not a threat at the high end. Why would they give away more performance for less money to counter a threat that doesn't exist?

****ty, but true.

To me, AMD will be pretty much irrelevant in the GPU space until they start competing with Nvidia at the top performance levels. Current day 2080ti or RTX Titan. Who knows what in the future, but the top performing consumer/prosumer parts. If they can't do that they are bringing me no closer to my guaranteed 60fps minimum at 4k ultra, and that's all that matters.
I agree with you on every level. In the past I was unwilling to commit to any Titans plus back then SLI was still worthwhile and you could achieve some nice performance for a decent cost with a little effort. That's no longer true. I went from 2x1080's to a 2080TI and I'm happy with it but some would argue that even then I paid too much for the performance increase but it was the only real path to get to 4k/60fps and escape SLI. When the RTX Titan came out my jaw dropped at the price. They really put some effort into maintaining the separation of Titan from gaming to a developer's card. At this point it's near useless for anyone just trying to make the best gaming rig even if they have the money.

I agree with you on every level. In the past I was unwilling to commit to any Titans plus back then SLI was still worthwhile and you could achieve some nice performance for a decent cost with a little effort. That's no longer true. I went from 2x1080's to a 2080TI and I'm happy with it but some would argue that even then I paid too much for the performance increase but it was the only real path to get to 4k/60fps and escape SLI. When the RTX Titan came out my jaw dropped at the price. They really put some effort into maintaining the separation of Titan from gaming to a developer's card. At this point it's near useless for anyone just trying to make the best gaming rig even if they have the money.

Agreed.

I'm reminded of this analysis I did when working for the H, When you factor in inflation, between $500-$700 has been a pretty typical historical price for a top end GPU. At least up until the first Titan in 2013 which broke all records when it sold for $1000.

Even after that though, the non-titan cards maintained (roughly) the previous top end price range, leaving us with the argument that Nvidia wanted us to think of Titan cards as not just a new top end GPU, but something special in a class of its own above the traditional top end GPU.

That held for like 5 years until the 2080ti moved into previous Titan pricing, and now the RTX Titan is in crazy-land price wise. They removed the "GeForce" branding from the Titans, and claim they are now "machine learning" parts, but they still - at $2,500 remain the top performance you can get for gaming. That's the same price bracket that used to be $500 to $700.

It's crazy what happens when there is no competition. I'm not usually a fan of Intel (I think their business practices have been abysmal and unethical over the years) but I am kind of hoping that their adventures in GPU land do better than Larrabee did in th egraphics space, and knock Nvidia down a few pegs, because AMD seems utterly unwilling to even try.

Become a Patron!
Back