NVIDIA Confirms Its Next-Generation GPUs Will Be Produced by Samsung

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
NVIDIA Korea chief Yoo Eung-joon has confirmed that green team's next-generation graphics cards will be produced by Samsung and its 7-nanometer extreme ultraviolet process. This confirms DIGITIME's earlier report that claimed NVIDIA had partnered with the Korean tech giant for GPUs that would see release in 2020.

Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. ultimately lost the gig. Neither NVIDIA or TSMC has hinted as to why, but it should be safe to assume Samsung's process made more sense in the performance and/or price department.

“It is meaningful that Samsung Electronics’ 7-nanometer process would be used in manufacturing our next-generation GPU,” said Yoo. “Until recently, Samsung has been working really hard to secure (partners) for foundry cooperation.”

Not surprising. This was rumored a while back. Samsung seems to be running behind schedule on 7nm relative to TSMC. I'm guessing TSMC is just too booked up with orders and Samsung is a fall back. It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out for us.

That is actually pretty dang interesting. Samsung is getting WAY big folks. I mean they make everything these days.
I remember about 10-15 years ago when they started to dominate the monitor and t.v. markets. At one point when we were looking for a 2nd, smaller, lcd, we went into a BB and seriously from wall to wall it seemed that was the only brand they had. Oddly enough ended up getting a 25" monitor that has a built in t.v. tuner. Odd beast but we still have it. Native resolution of 1920x1200 60hz and a plethora of pc related ports.

I can only hope this decision will lead to a better performance per dollar value than what the initial RTX run started at.

Interesting. This must be why we are seeing some 2060 Super GPU's manufactured by Samsung?

My next GPU will finally be on the cards ;)
I hope the true 1080ti successor is in time for Cyberpunk with acceptable pricing.
First gen RTX running 1080p didnt do much for me.

My next GPU will finally be on the cards ;)
I hope the true 1080ti successor is in time for Cyberpunk with acceptable pricing.
First gen RTX running 1080p didnt do much for me.

Not gonna happen, sadly. The 2080Ti is a true 1080Ti successor, we just don't like the price.
Freakin EVGA has the brass to even ask $1800+ for the K|ingpin 2080Ti.

Not gonna happen, sadly. The 2080Ti is a true 1080Ti successor, we just don't like the price...
... nor the performance. The features couldnt even save it.
It failed on both primary metrics so failing to become the true successor to the 1080ti, we are still waiting.

It failed on both primary metrics so failing to become the true successor to the 1080ti, we are still waiting.

Ignoring RTX and the stupid price, you still feel that way?

I am curious, how much of an increase over the 1080Ti do you view as an adequate successor?

This should cover both questions.

50%+ performance increase without tricks (DLSS doesnt cut it) would have lent some satisfaction.
Around 20 to 40% @ UHD and less at lower res didnt do much for me.
And then came the price!
If they had managed a clean 60%+ at the price they sold I would probably own one by now, but I dont think that price has any place except the Titan, and even then its too high.
Many things prevent it from being a good buy.

This should cover both questions.

50%+ performance increase without tricks (DLSS doesnt cut it) would have lent some satisfaction.
Around 20 to 40% @ UHD and less at lower res didnt do much for me.
And then came the price!
If they had managed a clean 60%+ at the price they sold I would probably own one by now, but I dont think that price has any place except the Titan, and even then its too high.
Many things prevent it from being a good buy.
I see, so probably next generation upgrade for you as a 2080Ti is I beleve 30%-35% increase from 1080Ti. I can from a GTX 1070 to RTX 2080Ti so it was a huge upgrade for me, but I definitely can see your point that coming from a 1080Ti, it won't be a great upgrade.

I see, so probably next generation upgrade for you as a 2080Ti is I beleve 30%-35% increase from 1080Ti. I can from a GTX 1070 to RTX 2080Ti so it was a huge upgrade for me, but I definitely can see your point that coming from a 1080Ti, it won't be a great upgrade.
Its a bit worse than that, some games are only around 20% faster with the 2080ti.
This article covers 10 games but its not clear when it was first published.
Possibly after the release of Assassin's Creed Odyssey in Oct 2018.

Results @ UHD
20% Crysis 3
20% Rise of the Tomb Raider
22% The Witcher 3
24% Assassin's Creed Odyssey
25% Far Cry 5
25% Ghost Recon Wildlands
28% Assassin's Creed Unity
28% Shadow of the Tomb Raider
30% Battlefield 1
36% Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus

Become a Patron!