NVIDIA: GeForce RTX 2080 More Powerful Than Next-Gen Console GPU

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
If you own a GeForce RTX 2080, you may already have a GPU that's more powerful than what Sony and/or Microsoft is putting in their next-gen consoles.

During his GTC China 2019 keynote, NVIDIA CEO Jensen Huang brought up a slide demonstrating the specs of the Lenovo Y740 MAX-Q laptop.

The slide suggested that its GPU, the GeForce RTX 2080, is better than a "next-gen console."

It isn't clear whether NVIDIA is referring to the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X, or "Lockhart," Microsoft's weaker Xbox variant.

…this could very well be Lockhart and not the high-end model of the next-gen Xbox console. Still, it may give you an idea of how powerful these new consoles will actually be.

I see he broke out the good ****.. or had to buy Mexican I don't know. Suuuure my 3 square feet die is more powerful.. of course it is.
I guess he intends to drop the price to the console gpu portion equivalent of 75$.
How generous.
I heard threadrippers are faster than the CPUs in the console.

Haven’t higher tier GPUs always been faster than consoles?
I think pretty much always... What is actually surprising is how close consoles are getting to PCs, not the other way around. Many years ago the gap was massive, with consoles just being way way behind. Thats what I remember anyway.

Haven’t higher tier GPUs always been faster than consoles?

Pretty much. The XBOX 360 came out and was pretty close to the best AMD GPU's on the market. This is probably the closest we've ever been. However, it was surpassed definitively very quickly.

Good luck with that low level optimized game code that works on one SKU versus real game code designed to be cross platform. I so wish nVidia didn't make the best GPUs right now so I could buy something from a better CEO who isn't a leather jacket wearing *******.

Become a Patron!
Back