NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Averages 70 to 80 Percent Better Than RTX 2080 for 4K Gaming

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-angled-close-up-1024x576.jpg
Image: NVIDIA

Digital Foundry has shared an early look at the performance of NVIDIA’s new “flagship” Ampere gaming GPU, the GeForce RTX 3080. According to Richard Leadbetter’s tests with Borderlands 3, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Control, and other hit titles, the card is around 70 to 80 percent faster than its predecessor – the GeForce RTX 2080 – for high-preset, 4K gaming. It even manages to be nearly 100 percent faster in Quake II RTX.

You can check out Digital Foundry’s analysis directly below, but we’ve also included screenshots for those of you who want to skip right to the numbers. Surprisingly enough, NVIDIA is selling the GeForce RTX 3080 for $699, which happens to be the same price that the GeForce RTX 2080 debuted at in September 2018. (Considering the performance bump alleged here, that’s a...

Continue reading...

Those preliminary numbers are great. There are already people in comments sections saying NVIDIA are fudging the numbers and that rasterization performance would still really only increase 20-30%. I guess they think 2 operations/clock is snake oil, or simply refuse to believe that the "big, bad corporation" would ever give us this kind of performance jump without increasing cost to the consumer.

This is the card I'm wanting and will be keeping an eye on. My 2070 is still doing fine but I would love to have this to really get the most out of my 240 hz monitor and I can pass down my 2070 to my kid.

This does kinda make me think it's too good to be true tho. Nearly twice the performance of last generation's cards but at half the price? My memory isn't that good but I don't ever remember that happening before.

This is the card I'm wanting and will be keeping an eye on. My 2070 is still doing fine but I would love to have this to really get the most out of my 240 hz monitor and I can pass down my 2070 to my kid.

This does kinda make me think it's too good to be true tho. Nearly twice the performance of last generation's cards but at half the price? My memory isn't that good but I don't ever remember that happening before.
The 3080 is launching at the same price the 2080 did, so nearly twice the performance for the same price. That would work out to around 60% faster than the 2080 Ti at half the price.

The 3080 is launching at the same price the 2080 did, so nearly twice the performance for the same price. That would work out to around 60% faster than the 2080 Ti at half the price.

Yeah that's what I meant to say lolol.... Sorry, I don't math good. 😁

Doom Eternal being shown running on a 3080 50% faster than the 2080 Ti.

You can't take a custom engine designed for speed and believe that other engines will have the same performance boost. ;) (little snark there. I love ID.)

Yeah but the Doom games play great on a potato too. Would like to see something punishing in action.

That's still pretty impressive regardless.100+ fps at 4K is still pretty good. Doom Eternal isn't the most demanding game out there but it's still a quality engine and it is a really good looking game.

Yeah but the Doom games play great on a potato too. Would like to see something punishing in action.
FPS can dip pretty hard at certain points in Eternal, you just don't notice it easily due to how well the frame pacing is done with Vulkan.

But I agree. I would like to see a comparison in a ray tracing game like Control and a more demanding rasterized game like Red Dead Redemption II.

Become a Patron!
Back