NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Founders Edition Video Card Review

Brent_Justice

Administrator
Staff member
Introduction NVIDIA GeForce RTX 40 series “Ada Lovelace” series continues with the introduction of the brand new GeForce RTX 4060 family in the Ada Lovelace GeForce RTX 40 series lineup. Today NVIDIA is launching the new GeForce RTX 4060 Ti, but also announcing the GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB model and GeForce RTX 4060. The GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 8GB model, which we are reviewing today will be available on May 24th, 2023. The GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB version and GeForce RTX 4060 will be coming in July 2023, no specific dates released yet. In today’s review, we will […]

See full article...

Interesting review. So looking at this card, I would want the same chip for a laptop. Because in a laptop I'm fine gaming at 1080 or 1440p and am willing to give up more with DLSS to get the performance I want as long as text is still legible.

yea actually, I'm going to keep an eye out for laptops with a 4070 series chip because that might be equivalent to this 4060ti. Right?

yea actually, I'm going to keep an eye out for laptops with a 4070 series chip because that might be equivalent to this 4060ti. Right?

Laptops are a completely different ball of wax as performance depends on the laptop maker's implementation of the power/cooling delivery and wattage that they run the GPU at. I'm certain that there will be 4060 Ti based laptops that are faster than 4070 based laptops. Can't buy just based upon the GPU badge, especially for neighboring chips.

Laptops are a completely different ball of wax as performance depends on the laptop maker's implementation of the power/cooling delivery and wattage that they run the GPU at. I'm certain that there will be 4060 Ti based laptops that are faster than 4070 based laptops. Can't buy just based upon the GPU badge, especially for neighboring chips.
It's too bad TheFPSReview doesn't get sampled for review of laptop hardware. I'd love to see a TheFPSReview approved laptop spec.

Thanks, @Brent_Justice for the great review and careful examination of cards sold at the same pricepoints and performance differences.

Even with its limitations for the 8GB model, it's still more impressive than I would've expected.

As someone who is on his 3rd gaming laptop in the last 10 or so years, and constantly feeling the urge for another, I can definitely say it's possible we might see a variant of this in one soon. I haven't heard of any but the TDP is close. I could see them downclocking it a bit to get it closer to 130W where it would match the Max-P 3070 that's in my MSI GP66 Leopard, but then the real fun part is finding the manufacturer that does that. It's still a bit of a nightmare in tracking all the power/cooling variants each will do for each die. Some brag and some don't tell you squat.

The good news is that the closer we get to a non-Ti x60 the more likely it is you can find something that actually matches the desktop version. This happened with some mobile 3060s last time around and I could see it happening again with Ada.

https://techteamgb.co.uk/2021/07/19/rtx-3060-laptop-vs-desktop/

Interesting that AMD doesn't have a direct competitor for this card as of now.

The 6750xt sells for ~$350 & the 6800 for ~$500

The 6800 would make a good comparison for the upcoming 4060 ti 16gb as they are both in the same price range

I think you should compare all 4 cards (4060 ti 8gb & 16gb) vs 6750xt & 6800, once the 4060 ti 16gb is available

10% performance delta is in the range that a decent overclock on an older card could make up.

Assuming the 4060 isn't a barnburner of an overclocker itself.

10% performance delta is in the range that a decent overclock on an older card could make up.

Assuming the 4060 isn't a barnburner of an overclocker itself.

A very true point. I had seen that in other video reviews as well, wish now I had mentioned it in the conclusion. But we will get to more card comparisons, I have a growing list of cards to compare it with. have to get through another thing first.

Interesting that AMD doesn't have a direct competitor for this card as of now.

The 6750xt sells for ~$350 & the 6800 for ~$500

The 6800 would make a good comparison for the upcoming 4060 ti 16gb as they are both in the same price range

I think you should compare all 4 cards (4060 ti 8gb & 16gb) vs 6750xt & 6800, once the 4060 ti 16gb is available

I think they will have a competitor eventually, I would imagine a "7600 XT" would fit the bill, what it will all hinge on is pricing and configuration. As I stated above, I've got a nice list of cards to compare the 4060 Ti with, going to be a fun time.

Thanks, @Brent_Justice for the great review and careful examination of cards sold at the same pricepoints and performance differences.

Even with its limitations for the 8GB model, it's still more impressive than I would've expected.

As someone who is on his 3rd gaming laptop in the last 10 or so years, and constantly feeling the urge for another, I can definitely say it's possible we might see a variant of this in one soon. I haven't heard of any but the TDP is close. I could see them downclocking it a bit to get it closer to 130W where it would match the Max-P 3070 that's in my MSI GP66 Leopard, but then the real fun part is finding the manufacturer that does that. It's still a bit of a nightmare in tracking all the power/cooling variants each will do for each die. Some brag and some don't tell you squat.

The good news is that the closer we get to a non-Ti x60 the more likely it is you can find something that actually matches the desktop version. This happened with some mobile 3060s last time around and I could see it happening again with Ada.

https://techteamgb.co.uk/2021/07/19/rtx-3060-laptop-vs-desktop/

NVIDIA does have AD106 in laptop form, it's called the RTX 4070 for mobile. https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/laptops/compare/

Of course, it'll never have the full TGP of the desktop part. However, it is the full die implementation, so more CUDA Cores than the desktop version.

As I stated above, I've got a nice list of cards to compare the 4060 Ti with, going to be a fun time.
Can't wait for that Arc one. I've become a big fan of it after seeing all the positive news with performance improvements from the many updates and then also the inclusion of XeSS with so many more games in the last six months. If I had the money to just throw at it I'd have a low-budget Intel build for 1080p gaming just for s & giggles.

Good review, thanks!

I am still not sold as a $400 replacement for my 1080ti.... I paid less than 400 for that (second hand) years ago.

Glancing at ebay I see my card selling around 200.... not that I would sell on ebay any more, but just for pricing purposes...

Can't wait for that Arc one. I've become a big fan of it after seeing all the positive news with performance improvements from the many updates and then also the inclusion of XeSS with so many more games in the last six months. If I had the money to just throw at it I'd have a low-budget Intel build for 1080p gaming just for s & giggles.
Yea, honestly if there were any local AI engines that could be accelerated with an ARC GPU I'd be asking my company for budget to try it.

Just no way I'm going to get/fund one of those Nvidia 100 AI accelerator cards for 30k or whatever they want to charge for them.

Good review, thanks!

I am still not sold as a $400 replacement for my 1080ti.... I paid less than 400 for that (second hand) years ago.

Glancing at ebay I see my card selling around 200.... not that I would sell on ebay any more, but just for pricing purposes...
I'm shipping a 1080 Gtx over to Brent shortly... I suspect this will be one of the comparisons that we make...

Become a Patron!
Back