NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 Reports Suggest Weaker-Than-Expected Sales, Greater Interest in GeForce RTX 4090

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The GeForce RTX 4080 may not be selling as well as NVIDIA might have hoped and is being overshadowed by its flagship counterpart, the GeForce RTX 4090, according to new reports that suggest enthusiasts are not rushing out to grab a copy of NVIDIA's second-best Ada Lovelace graphics card for gamers, which released on November 16 with 3rd generation RTX architecture and delivers what the company has described as "exceptional experiences in rasterized, ray-traced, and AI-powered games and apps."

See full article...

So... let's see what happens with the 3000 series supply starts to dry up. Combine that with AMD's latest and greatest coming out...

Will nVidia keep pushing the higher price, or will they cave with permanent price reductions to drive wider sales?

Right now, I think half of it is nVidia has the price set so high so people either go to the 4090 (which I suspect is higher margin), or drop down to a 3000 series card (not sure how the inventory situation is, I haven't been looking, but occasionally see stories of gray market ones being sold by the pound in Asia).

And the other half is just that they thought they could get away with it. Prices swung so high during the last generation, and nVidia got very little over MSRP on each card -- scalpers and retailers pocketed all the extra. So nVidia is out trying to get a bigger piece of that pie.

We'll see what happens... if they stick to their guns or what, and how the lower tier cards are handled: particularly the 4070 or whatever they are renaming it.

So far, apart from the actual performance (which has inarguably been good), just about everything else about the Ada roll out has been a dumpster fire (in some cases, literally).

Lets also not forget that nVidia released two versions of 4080 and recalled one. As a potential purchaser who knows nothing other than "4080 OMG!!11!!", how are you to know if you're buying a leftover recalled product or the real deal? That's rhetorical and no answer is required; I used the metaphorical "you".

I give until march, and it will be msrp 999 or less. Board partners will have to revise their junk too.

So... let's see what happens with the 3000 series supply starts to dry up.
I agree but it also depends how on how many refreshes they plan to keep launching as well. There's the 3060 Ti with DDR6X on the way and who knows if they plan to do others. I'm thinking that BF 2023 could be a very interesting time for 40 series GPUs.

Lets also not forget that nVidia released two versions of 4080 and recalled one. As a potential purchaser who knows nothing other than "4080 OMG!!11!!", how are you to know if you're buying a leftover recalled product or the real deal? That's rhetorical and no answer is required; I used the metaphorical "you".
The only announced 2 and cancelled one, none were ever out for sale.

...and we should all be pissed at the artificial scarcity of the 4090 being used to justify its obscene cost.

Nvidia had all the TSMC production capacity they could ever have dreamed of for this generation, but they still chose to make the 4090 in such small numbers that it is unobtainable without extreme measures.

This bbullshit needs to stop. ALL products need to be in stock for people to easily walk in off the treet whenever they feel like it and buy them, without special planning, long road trips, waiting in line, wait lists or going to scalpers. If they aren't, it's because the industry is messed up.

We shouldn't be content with allowing market manipulation to be the norm.

...and we should all be pissed at the artificial scarcity of the 4090 being used to justify its obscene cost.

Nvidia had all the TSMC production capacity they could ever have dreamed of for this generation, but they still chose to make the 4090 in such small numbers that it is unobtainable without extreme measures.

This bbullshit needs to stop. ALL products need to be in stock for people to easily walk in off the treet whenever they feel like it and buy them, without special planning, long road trips, waiting in line, wait lists or going to scalpers. If they aren't, it's because the industry is messed up.

We shouldn't be content with allowing market manipulation to be the norm.
Given the basically non existent competition of the GPU space, NVidia is going to keep doing that because they can. If neither AMD nor Intel can step up, maybe it's time to push for an AT&T style break up of NVidia?

Plenty of 4090s available in my part of the world. No wonder, nobody wants to drop 4 months worth of median income on a GPU.

I'm not going to claim I have gone on a serious hunt for one, but I check the sites (Nvidia Store, Amazon, Newegg, B&H) every now and then since launch, and apart from marketplace sellers asking $600 above MSRP, I've never seen them in stock.

As far as median houshold income goes, it was $70,784 here in the U.S. in 2021, which means that at MSRP, a 4090 is a little over a weeks worth of income in the U.S. (more if you factor in income and sales taxes, but that is complicated to do)

I'd buy one if I saw one at MSRP of $1599 today, but I am not going to wait in line, add my name to wait lists, or pay scalpers at above MSRP (whether those scalpers be individuals, retailers or the AIB's themselves) for the privilege.

Last edited:
Given the basically non existent competition of the GPU space, NVidia is going to keep doing that because they can. If neither AMD nor Intel can step up, maybe it's time to push for an AT&T style break up of NVidia?

I'd be in favor of looking into that, but I'm not sure how you split them up in a way that make sense and actually helps.

Median income in some eastern European countries in between 300-500€/month, 2000+€ graphics cards probably don't sell well over there.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_countries_by_average_wage

Not only that, but outside of the U.S. consumer credit is not always as easy or convenient to achieve as it is here. That means that even in relatively wealthy European nations with GDP's per capita similar to the U.S. people often have "less stuff" and older cars.

When I grew up in Sweden, it was very rare to see people driving new-ish cars. Most people had 5-10 year old models, which they bought in cash, used. Most new cars were business vehicles. In large part this was because financing just isn't the same there as it is here.

While even middle class Swedes do have an obsession with boats, and secondary small vacation homes/cottages, a lot of the excesses we see here, I just didn't see when I was growing up over there. I never knew anyone who had dirt bikes, or project cars they took to the track, or fancy stereo systems with big speakers, or anything like that. It just wasn't something that was common.

Also, consumer goods tend to be cheaper here in the U.S. in large part because it is a larger market, so economies of scale work to our advantage.

I remember participating in many tech forums and IRC channels in the mid to late 90's from over in Sweden. I was used to having PC's that were a generation or two old. I remember being shocked at how many people in the U.S had the just launched Pentium II's at about the same time I had just upgraded from a 486 to my first Pentium.

I think the combination of more easily accessible credit, and generally lower prices on tech and other consumer goods due to economies of scale are responsible for a lot of that effect, even in countries with similar income levels as our own. Then once you look at eastern europe that equation becomes a bit tougher yet due to income disparities.

I don't think they can sustain it with crypto out the window, and this news is the proof. Either they lower the prices or they can't sell even the limited inventory available.

While even middle class Swedes do have an obsession with boats, and secondary small vacation homes/cottages, a lot of the excesses we see here, I just didn't see when I was growing up over there. I never knew anyone who had dirt bikes, or project cars they took to the track, or fancy stereo systems with big speakers, or anything like that. It just wasn't something that was common.
Project cars are not just hard due to costs, but also due to very strict regulations on modifying cars. That's why these things are so rare, its limited to the ultra rich who can afford someone to do all the paperwork, or the ultra patient and diligent who will spend more time on paperwork and sitting at the council than he spent working on the car. But most are just illegal. They throw on the mods after the bi-yearly mandatory inspection, and risk it.

This is also why external mods are avoided to not draw attention to yourself. So it is a forced sleeper culture.

Become a Patron!
Back