NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Could Very Well Be a 600-Watt Graphics Card

reminds me of those Fermi commercials where swat was raiding people's houses thinking they were growing weed, only to find a sweaty dude gaming.

My entire rig (computer, monitors, audio, networking) uses just a hair over 600W while gaming now.

It’s already too much. That alone raises the temperature in the room by about degree every hour while I’m playing.

I suppose you could say get a bigger room, or install more HVAC - either ~would~ work, but so does just using less power and accepting that it isn’t top tier in the first place and that is a hell of a lot cheaper.

I guess what I’m saying here is I’m at a point where I’m valuing efficiency over power at any cost. I don’t mind seeing 600W parts coming out - I won’t be buying one - but I hope the tech also trickles down to better performance at lower power levels.

And, of course and perhaps more important, better availability and affordability

might be time to run some dryer ducting from the pc out the window, LOL

Well Apple can do all that for 60w or whatever.... So just how inefficient pcs really are or how much of a lie is Apple telling?
Are pcs like a 1940s V16 engine or something?

Though being a PC enthusiast is a hobby that I really enjoy, I feel that things are heading in a "ridiculous" territory where things are getting a little out of hand with power draw. I suppose you can say it's the next step to have the latest and greatest to justify it, but time will tell. Or all this could just be me getting old.🤘

Though being a PC enthusiast is a hobby that I really enjoy, I feel that things are heading in a "ridiculous" territory where things are getting a little out of hand with power draw. I suppose you can say it's the next step to have the latest and greatest to justify it, but time will tell. Or all this could just be me getting old.🤘
Or it's Nvidia being extremely lazy. Instead of optimizing their product they're just jamming as many cuda cores on the biggest die they can make with zero regard for power draw. They did it before with the 400 series.

It'll be interesting to see what AMD does with the 7000 series.

Become a Patron!
Back