NVIDIA NVENC AV1 Comparison Shows Improved Quality versus AMD and Intel Encoders

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
In a new blog post titled "AV1 Streaming Dazzles on GeForce RTX 40 Series GPUs With OBS Studio 29.1 Launch and YouTube Support," NVIDIA shared a comparison shot that suggests its NVENC AV1 encoder provides vastly better results than what AMD and Intel can provide with their respective encoders. The shot features a house from Fortnite, and while its roof shingles and door emblem are pretty clear in the NVENC example, both are kind of a blurry mess in the results for the competition. NVIDIA noted that all GeForce RTX 40 Series GPUs support real-time AV1 hardware encoding, providing "40% more efficient encoding on average than H.264 and delivering higher quality than competing GPUs."

See full article...

I wonder what resolution and upscaling were used on each of these cards. I bet if I encoded a 4k stream upscaled from 320p it would look like trash too.

I wonder what resolution and upscaling were used on each of these cards. I bet if I encoded a 4k stream upscaled from 320p it would look like trash too.
from the video its 1080p and 1440p

but I wouldn't be surprised if it was 1080p and then using AI upscaling to 4k on nvidia

Become a Patron!
Back