PassMark: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Single-Threaded Performance Greater than Intel Core i9-9900K

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
One of the biggest questions is how AMD's latest Ryzen processors fare against Intel's chips in single-threaded performance. New numbers published on PassMark sugggest that the Ryzen 5 3600 could actually be faster than the Core i9-9900K in that regard.

The results do seem suspicious, being that the 3600 has fewer cores and a lower clock speed. There isn't any indication that the chip was overclocked, however.

Overall, this result seems legitimate, but AMD's lowest-end Zen 2 CPU beating the -9900K overall seems unrealistic at best, especially when AMD positions the beefier Ryzen 7 3800X against the Core i9-9900K. This benchmark does, however, prove that Zen 2 does some things far better than Coffee Lake, which bodes well for Zen 2's overall performance. July 7th is just eight days away now, so it won't be long before we know what the Ryzen 5 3600 can really do.

curiouser and curiouser. Can't wait for you guys to get your hands on some of these new chips!

I still haven't gotten used to being hyped for CPU launches, but there it is!

Definitely plan on upgrading my R5 1600, and looking forward to that IPC increase. The biggest question mark for me is my X370. I was on board for replacing it to X470 (or X570 if it's not too pricey), but I keep going back to the 'why' of the upgrade.

This feels like it must be wrong to me, (or maybe the result of some crazy LN2 single core overclock run, or something like that) but it has me interested.

I'm hoping to pick up a 3950x when it launches in September.

I was under the impression that Passmark isn't really useful anymore for benchmarking. Is it still?

I was under the impression that Passmark isn't really useful anymore for benchmarking. Is it still?

Was it ever?

I've always considered Passmark in the same category with Sysmark and PCMark and others like that. Completely irrelevant.

Become a Patron!
Back