PCIe 5.0 SSD Heat Sink Fan Hits 48.4 dBA During Testing

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
CFD Gaming recently launched the PG5NFZ, a PCIe Gen 5 M.2 NVMe SSD that features up to 10 GB/s of sequential read speed and up to 9.5 GB/s of sequential write speed—but that's not the only thing that the drive has to offer. According to reviews and reports from early owners, the SSD also comes with a very loud heat sink fan, an unadvertised feature that many have noticed while stress testing the 49,980 yen (~376 USD) drive, currently available in 2 TB capacity. Images shared by the @jisakuhibi account suggest that the fan can reach noise levels of nearly 50 dB.

See full article...

I'd sooner run a leg from my loop than throw a ~20mm, 20kRPM screamer in my desktop

Just cant wait to see the 1 U Petabyte storage units running so many of those fans in parallel and series as a push pull config as you'll have to have a warning about not blocking the intake.

I am so glad I don't care about PCI-e Gen 5 NVME drives. I haven't felt my Gen 3 drive has held me back at all and it looks like it's a good thing.

I am so glad I don't care about PCI-e Gen 5 NVME drives. I haven't felt my Gen 3 drive has held me back at all and it looks like it's a good thing.

Most people are never going to notice a difference in desktop use. Now if you were running a SQL cluster getting hammered with a ton of reads and writes you will.

Gawd, it reminds me of the annoying-@ss fan in my dad's old laptop that drives me f*cking nuts.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's going to be a nope for me.

I hated the chipset fan on my gigabyte motherboard.

I'm OK with large slow case/radiator fans, but I'm not adding small fast fans to any of my system components.

If I have to I'll get creative with small water blocks but even that irks me as they will make loops more complex, and reduce flow.

THey need to get their **** together. RAM and SSD's shouldn't need big loud cooling implementations.

Some of my friends are using Asus TUF X570 boards, which have a chipset fan, but that fan is pretty dang quiet, so props to Asus there.
I never hear the chipset fan on my Aorus X570 board.

Yeah, this was an issue on my first Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Master board. Out of the box the chipset fan was obnoxious, but it did offer a pretty need fan curve editor in the BIOS which I used to improve things. It was never perfect but I was able to improve it.

The two or three fans (can't remember) in my Asus ROG Zenith II Extreme Alpha have never been a problem though. I never had to modify the settings.

I do hear a very low amount of white noise style fan noise at idle (in other words just very low whoosh, no hum) but I think that is from the 16x 120mm fans and 8x 140mm fans, not from a chipset fan.

It's probably only 20db at my ears distance from the case and it is a neutral white noise whoosh, so it doesn't bother me. It probably wouldn't be audible at all of my room weren't as quiet as it is.

To be clear, I have to hold my breath and listen if I want to hear it, otherwise it is silent. At least at idle :p

Last edited:
It's only because I've manually set the chipset fan on the MSI X570 board to full during testing that I even know what it sounds like. It's mostly inaudible but if a game does some kind of full-speed load I'll hear it, the rear intake, and CPU pump/fan, kick in. Usually only for a matter of seconds but all of that does get my attention.

Yeah, this was an issue on my first Gigabyte TRX40 board. Out of the box the hipster fan was obnoxious, but it did offer a pretty need fan curve editor in the BIOS which I used to improve things. It was never perfect but I was able to improve it.

The two or three fans (can't remember) in my Asus ROG Zenith II Extreme Alpha have never been a problem though. I never had to modify the settings.

I do hear a very low amount of white noise style fan noise at idle (in other words just very low whoosh, no hum) but I think that is from the 16x 120mm fans and 8x 140mm fans, not from a chipset fan.

It's probably only 20db at my ears distance from the case and it is a neutral white noise whoosh, so it doesn't bother me. It probably wouldn't be audible at all of my room weren't as quiet as it is.

LOL. Chipset fan. Not hipster fan. :p

Some of my friends are using Asus TUF X570 boards, which have a chipset fan, but that fan is pretty dang quiet, so props to Asus there.
ASUS saw fit to put two of these screamers on their Strix X570I - they're inaudible on a desk, but when put into an ITX case (which are usually hotboxes one way or another), they happily spin up to >5,000RPM and become the loudest thing in the room.

Really disappointed to find out that this was the answer to figuring out why the room sounded like a datacenter. Swap for a far cheaper Gigabyte B550 ITX board, problem solved.

(I do have to admit that I did not experience any stability issues, so presumably the fans did their jobs keeping the chipset and the VRM cool, but still, really wish AMD would find a better solution for their chipsets...)

ASUS saw fit to put two of these screamers on their Strix X570I - they're inaudible on a desk, but when put into an ITX case (which are usually hotboxes one way or another), they happily spin up to >5,000RPM and become the loudest thing in the room.
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT
Dude that's insane, good gawd!

Really disappointed to find out that this was the answer to figuring out why the room sounded like a datacenter.
Yyyyyeeeeeaaaaahhhhh maaaaaan...

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT
Dude that's insane, good gawd!
Oh they'd hit 7kRPM easily. Just batty decision by ASUS, which I'm sure allowed EKWB to move stacks of monoblocks for the board, which replaced ASUS' 'server-grade' air cooling. I'm still thinking about picking one of those up, but for now, the 5700G that resides on the board doesn't quite stimulate these fans as the 5800X3D it was intended to support.

I think that's why the NZXT H7 Flow that I wrote about last weekend will probably be the smallest I can go for a high-end gaming rig.

You'd think you should be able to get laminar flow going through even a rather compact case if it were designed right.

Back in 2013 built an HTPC into a Silverstone SG06 case.

Airflow was surprisingly good through the front. If I recall I removed the drive bay as I wasn't going to use it anyway, and installed with with a single 120mm Corsair AIO sucking air in the front. Can't remember which one. H80? H60? No idea. Sadly it looks like I never took any pictures of this build. At least I can't find any in my files or posted on the forums.

What I do recall is that both airflow and temps were surprisingly good through that very compact case.

If someone weer to make a case like that, but instead of a single 120mm slot, go with a single 140mm slot, and make it an "airflow" model instead of a flat panel with intakes along the sides, it think it could be excellent.

All of that said, I just don't see the point of compact builds for most uses. I have near unlimited space on the floor under my desk (though the Corsair 1000D really challenges that notion :p )

1675807219294.png

Last edited:
All of that said, I just don't see the point of compact builds for most uses. I have near unlimited space on the floor under my desk (though the Corsair 1000D really challenges that notion :p )
While I was posting about the H7 I noticed that I could probably remove the mid-shelf under the desk and fit it in there and still have plenty of room for airflow. It's something I'm considering doing. Definitely not something I could've done with one of those HAFs.

Become a Patron!
Back