PCIe Gen 3/4/5 SSDs Compared in Forspoken DirectStorage Test

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Compusemble has benchmarked three generations of NVMe PCIe SSDs to see how they perform in Forspoken, the new fantasy RPG from Square Enix that supports DirectStorage (1.1), Microsoft's new API that enables improved loading times with developments that include GPU decompression. The results suggest that players will find minimal difference between Gen 3 and Gen 5 SSDs, and barely any difference between Gen 4 and Gen 5 SSDs. Benchmarks that Digital Foundry shared earlier this week tease loading times as low as 4.1 seconds for a 13th Gen Intel Core i9-12900K system with PCIe 3.0 SSD.

See full article...

Very nice to see some numbers.

I'd be interested to see same cpu/drive different gpu tests as well. Resizable Bar on/off as well.

The load times are fast which is nice, maybe even worth having paid for an nvme? :)

All these benchmarks keep reaffirming that latency, not bandwidth, is king. They just need to slap an optane in the benchmarks to really show the difference.

Yay, you only need to spend $1K-$2K on a Gen5 i9 setup to get the most out of this feature which is maybe a half second over Gen4. I wonder if driver or firmware updates will help this because otherwise, it has a ways to go. The real gain was for the PlayStation in that it caught up to what modern PCs can do with this tech. A big win for them but not even a crawl for us.

I don't have this game and haven't tried the demo but I can say that I've noticed a small improvement in going to Gen4 NVMe for gaming, not a huge difference but there. However, the games that support Resizable BAR seem to be much faster on Gen4 than SATA.

Become a Patron!
Back