Photoshop Places Some Colors Behind a Monthly Paywall Due to Licensing Changes with Pantone

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Photoshop users must pay a monthly fee to see and work with certain colors going forward, according to a tweet shared today that reveals how changes in Pantone's licensing with Adobe have prompted new fees in the world's leading graphics editing program.

See full article...

The funny part:

It's only licensed if you refer to it as Sunset Retard Red. If you just call it 0x7d432e -- then it's perfectly ok to use.

I certainly hope so (but I use RGB numbers from 0-255 instead of hexadecimal)

If they are just blocking any tone that happens to match a named Pantone color, even when not using its pantone name, then **** them long, and **** them hard. If Pantone is making them do this I hope someone sues the living daylights out of them.

You can't ****ing own a color.

So, lets play a game.

Lets say I take a 22 megapixel image using a high end camera of a bunch of colorful flowers, and then open up that image in Photoshop. Are they going to turn every pixel that happens to randomly match the RGB value of a defined Pantone color black? If they do, they just put themselves out of business.

I don't even understand why Pantone exists anymore since at least the 90's.

Sure, back in the day, you needed a way to tell your printers which colors to use, but ever since software defined RGB values, why pick a defined Pantone color when you can just pick any color you want, and tell your printer the RGB or hex value of it?

Why would you choose to do something so dumb as you use a licensed version of something that is completely free?

Would that include Windows, since other OSes are free?

It's different. The colors are identical with or without Pantone "****stain Brown" names/references or not.

Pantone literally adds no value and hasn't since the emergence of 24bit color codes in operating systems in the early 90's.

It's different. The colors are identical with or without Pantone "****stain Brown" names/references or not.

Pantone literally adds no value and hasn't since the emergence of 24bit color codes in operating systems in the early 90's.
Where pantone adds value is vendors and creators can have the same color codes and a common reference guide to make sure colors match. It's cheaper than making sure everyone you do business with has the exact same spec monitor tuned to the same spec for color reference.

In a NON professional setting where you are not dealing with 3rd parties it is a waste and being charged for access to specific colors is bullshit.

Monthly subscription is the stupidest for home use anyway where you are not constantly making money off of the product. Just use it to edit granny's graduation picture as a surprise before the holidays.

Not that I see much reason to own photoshop as a home user, with Gimp, Krita, and Paint.net available.

Where pantone adds value is vendors and creators can have the same color codes and a common reference guide to make sure colors match. It's cheaper than making sure everyone you do business with has the exact same spec monitor tuned to the same spec for color reference.

In a NON professional setting where you are not dealing with 3rd parties it is a waste and being charged for access to specific colors is bullshit.

Even when dealing with third parties what prevents them from just using numerical or hexadecimal color codes?

You'd need some sort of calibration to display the Pantone colors right as well, unless you are going to compare everything to physical Pantone chips, which would be an absurd way of doing things in 2022. (or 2012 or even 2002...)

Even when dealing with third parties what prevents them from just using numerical or hexadecimal color codes?

You'd need some sort of calibration to display the Pantone colors right as well, unless you are going to compare everything to physical Pantone chips, which would be an absurd way of doing things in 2022. (or 2012 or even 2002...)
There are non digital uses for this stuff so having a universal reference is handy to have if needed.

Become a Patron!
Back