PlayStation 5 Lacks Native Support of PS1, PS2, and PS3 Titles

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
playstation-4-20th-anniversary-edition-front-1024x576.jpg
Image: Sony

If you’re one of the few who are still holding on to the hope of the PlayStation 5 being able to run legacy titles, it’s time to let go. In a recent interview with legendary gaming magazine Famitsu, PlayStation boss Jim Ryan (yeah, that guy again) confirmed that Sony’s next-gen system won’t include backward compatibility with PS1, PS2, and PS3 titles. While the PS5 will presumably support certain classics sold on the PlayStation Store (e.g., Jak and Daxter, Red Dead Revolver), users will not be able to put those old discs to use.

“We have been building devices with PS5 specific engineering in mind,” explained Ryan (machine translation). “Among them, PS4 already has 100 million players, so I thought that I would like to play PS4 titles on PS5 as well, so I introduced PS4...

Continue reading...

They really should... Just how much can it be a console on a chip at least for ps1 and 2?. Of course, development and what not, but if it was a continuous project it shouldn't be horrible costs.
Then again, what is the incentive to really? None.

For this level hardware, those could all be done pretty well in software emulation.
I could see, if they have issues moving hardware this generation, to start releasing old classics like this (at near full price), That was one of the biggest draws for Nintendo on the 3DS / Wii U via Virtual Console.

Then again, PS3 emulation was done via streaming on PS Now for PS 4 - since its streaming no change required to offer that on the PS5. I don’t like it but that’s probably their strategy there to help push sub numbers as a counter to XBGP.

PS3 had great emulation of PS1 games, not sure why Sony didn't just bring their emulator over to PS4 and PS5. Also handy that every PS3 could read PS1 game discs. Every PS2 had the PS1 hardware all contained on a single chip, if I recall correctly. PS2 could also read PS1 memory cards, and use PS1 controllers. I remember when PS3 had hardware-based PS2 back-compat, but they eventually took that **** out in newer revisions, I think due to manufacturing cost reasons? I wouldn't expect PS3 emulation on PS4 considering how PS3 emulation on PC still isn't 100% there (but very good progress has been made, and some games are fully playable, at higher resolutions too). I figured PS4 being AMD64-based would mean it shouldn't be too much trouble to get those games working on PS5. I think PS5 should be powerful enough for PS2 and PS3 emulation. Sony probably doesn't wanna spend the resources to develop full blown emulators. They'll probably throw a few individual games from older systems up on the PS Store for us to buy, like some of the PS2 games they have on PS4 (and I think PS1 as well).

Back-compat is always appreciated but I don't automatically expect it. As someone who holds on to all their previous systems, back-compat has mattered less for me. Then again, sometimes it works out for specific reasons. Like how my PS2 Slim no longer reads discs, so I'm currently out a PS2. I did appreciate the faster loading of PS1 games it offered. My PS3 doesn't have PS2 back-compat, and emulators on PC (at least PCSX2) can't run every single game I have. I have a working PS1 but I usually use an emulator on PC, or my PS3, for PS1 games.

XB1 works out really great for original Xbox games, and Xbox 360 games. Original Xbox games look ****ing fantastic on XB1. I still have my X360 hooked up cuz not all my X360 games work on XB1. I also have one original Xbox game that doesn't work on X360 or XB1 (MK Shaolin Monks). Unfortunately my sister and her husband borrowed my original Xbox years ago, and have since lost it somewhere in their house, so XB1 is where I mainly play my original Xbox games. My XB1 is mainly a system for X360 and original Xbox games. Cuz any XB1 game I'd want to play on XB1 I play on PC.

Wii is handy for running GCN games with Component video, cuz Component video cables for GCN are expensive as all ****. Back in the day you could only get them direct from Nintendo, and I scoffed at their $30 price when I was used to paying $15 for S-Video and Component cables. Well now on eBay those GCN Component cables routinely appear for prices like $200, so yyyeeeaaahhh... Anyways Wii is kinda an annoying system to deal with, so I prefer to run my GCN games on the actual GCN. Still, I appreciate the hardware-based back-compat.

I appreciated Game Boy Advance being able to run GB and GBC games. DS could run GBA cartridges. 3DS could run DS cartridges. So that kind of stuff was always nifty.

I remember when Saturn came out, I was disappointed it wouldn't run Sega CD games. I didn't expect Dreamcast to run Saturn or Sega CD games though. I keep forgetting that Mega Drive/Genesis could play Sega Master System games with the right adapter.

Anyways while there are many examples of console back-compat, it's never a given. I don't look to each new generation expecting those new systems to play games from any of the previous generations. Nice when it happens, but not having that functionality is not the end of the world. PC is still the best back-compat system.

PS3 had great emulation of PS1 games, not sure why Sony didn't just bring their emulator over to PS4 and PS5. Also handy that every PS3 could read PS1 game discs. Every PS2 had the PS1 hardware all contained on a single chip, if I recall correctly. PS2 could also read PS1 memory cards, and use PS1 controllers. I remember when PS3 had hardware-based PS2 back-compat, but they eventually took that **** out in newer revisions, I think due to manufacturing cost reasons? I wouldn't expect PS3 emulation on PS4 considering how PS3 emulation on PC still isn't 100% there (but very good progress has been made, and some games are fully playable, at higher resolutions too). I figured PS4 being AMD64-based would mean it shouldn't be too much trouble to get those games working on PS5. I think PS5 should be powerful enough for PS2 and PS3 emulation. Sony probably doesn't wanna spend the resources to develop full blown emulators. They'll probably throw a few individual games from older systems up on the PS Store for us to buy, like some of the PS2 games they have on PS4 (and I think PS1 as well).

Back-compat is always appreciated but I don't automatically expect it. As someone who holds on to all their previous systems, back-compat has mattered less for me. Then again, sometimes it works out for specific reasons. Like how my PS2 Slim no longer reads discs, so I'm currently out a PS2. I did appreciate the faster loading of PS1 games it offered. My PS3 doesn't have PS2 back-compat, and emulators on PC (at least PCSX2) can't run every single game I have. I have a working PS1 but I usually use an emulator on PC, or my PS3, for PS1 games.

XB1 works out really great for original Xbox games, and Xbox 360 games. Original Xbox games look ****ing fantastic on XB1. I still have my X360 hooked up cuz not all my X360 games work on XB1. I also have one original Xbox game that doesn't work on X360 or XB1 (MK Shaolin Monks). Unfortunately my sister and her husband borrowed my original Xbox years ago, and have since lost it somewhere in their house, so XB1 is where I mainly play my original Xbox games. My XB1 is mainly a system for X360 and original Xbox games. Cuz any XB1 game I'd want to play on XB1 I play on PC.

Wii is handy for running GCN games with Component video, cuz Component video cables for GCN are expensive as all ****. Back in the day you could only get them direct from Nintendo, and I scoffed at their $30 price when I was used to paying $15 for S-Video and Component cables. Well now on eBay those GCN Component cables routinely appear for prices like $200, so yyyeeeaaahhh... Anyways Wii is kinda an annoying system to deal with, so I prefer to run my GCN games on the actual GCN. Still, I appreciate the hardware-based back-compat.

I appreciated Game Boy Advance being able to run GB and GBC games. DS could run GBA cartridges. 3DS could run DS cartridges. So that kind of stuff was always nifty.

I remember when Saturn came out, I was disappointed it wouldn't run Sega CD games. I didn't expect Dreamcast to run Saturn or Sega CD games though. I keep forgetting that Mega Drive/Genesis could play Sega Master System games with the right adapter.

Anyways while there are many examples of console back-compat, it's never a given. I don't look to each new generation expecting those new systems to play games from any of the previous generations. Nice when it happens, but not having that functionality is not the end of the world. PC is still the best back-compat system.
Microsoft's consoles have always had the advantage of being closer to PCs in how they worked, so the software emulation is easier to implement than the variety of exotic hardware configurations that PlayStation has had over the years. The only hurdle was the PowerPC used in the Xbox 360, but it seems that they got that one figured out and the backward compatibility of 360 games just started to flow afterward. I just wish that they would put in some more effort on original Xbox games, as there are still some key games that don't work on current gen that I'd like to play without needing to connect the beast.

I play all my PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games on my PC these days, anyway, and keep my PS3 out to play any of those games. Unfortunately my original fatty died, so I can no longer play PS1 and PS2 games with it. PS2 emulation is still sketchy since it has to use an interpreting engine, but it is close enough to be enjoyable. PS1 emulation has been clock accurate for some time now, so that isn't an issue anymore.

To the article, I don't think anybody was expecting console compatibility going before the PS4 with the PS5. It would certainly be nice to have, but there is little to no money to be made for Sony compared to the time and effort they would have to put in.

Become a Patron!
Back