PlayStation 5 Rumors: 2 GHz Radeon Navi GPU, February 2020 Unveil

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Serial hardware leaker @Komachi has returned with some news on Sony's upcoming console. The PlayStation 5 utilizes a Navi-based APU codenamed Oberon, and one of the engineering samples is supposedly clocked at 2 GHz.

According to @isaparrot, that would mean performance on par with an NVIDIA RTX 2080, which is capable of 10.1 TFLOPS (2 GHz RDNA = 9.2 TFLOPS). It's certainly a leap from last-generation's Xbox One X and PS4 Pro, which top out at 6 TFLOPs and 4.2 TFLOPS, respectively.

There are also rumors of a big "PlayStation Meeting" happening in February 2020. The PlayStation 5 will supposedly be unveiled during that event.

The PlayStation 5 will be going head-to-head with Project Scarlett, which is also powered by an AMD Zen2-based CPU and a Navi GPU. Xbox chief Phil Spencer recently stated in an interview that Microsoft is placing a heavy emphasis on overall system performance.

If they include a 4k disc player I'll probably get one of these when it comes out. It'll be my first console in over 10 years. I almost got a PS4 pro last summer but held off because of the pseudo 4k, no 4k disc player, and knowing these were coming out relatively soon.

Pretty beefy specs, if true.

Curious to see how they'll price these units. Haven't touched my PS4 that much, but I usually fall for new console hype.

Pretty beefy specs, if true.

Curious to see how they'll price these units. Haven't touched my PS4 that much, but I usually fall for new console hype.
I've read rumors/speculation upwards of the $600 range. Merely rumors but I wouldn't be that surprised.

I bought a PS4 Pro for Sony exclusives. I only touch it a couple times a year but their games are worth it. Like Lostin3D, if it has a good 4k player I'll grab one around launch. I'm sure we'll see an upgraded version of The Last of Us as a launch title and hopefully a new God of War in the launch window, those titles alone plus 4k would be worth the likely $500 (give or take) price tag to me.

I think Project Scarlet will be of similar specs, they are just keeping it under tighter wraps/waiting for Sony's specs to announce/slip before the "me too, look at us" style announcement. Microsoft isn't going to let Sony have this one as easily as they did with the Xbox One.

I've read rumors/speculation upwards of the $600 range. Merely rumors but I wouldn't be that surprised.

I would. Sony tried releasing a $600 console once, it didn't go well for them. It took six years and a lot of price drops for PS3 to catch up to the 360. Sony got lucky in that they didn't have to try to hard to compete with Microsoft this generation, but I believe that's going to change next year. Microsoft appears to be sincere about not repeating their mistakes and releasing a games-first console. I expect both consoles to have very similar hardware, which leaves the distinguishing points to be price and exclusives. Seeing as the Call of Duty and Madden kids don't care about the later, price will be key.

My guess is we will see two SKU's for both of the upcoming consoles, a $399 and a $499 tier. The lower probably being a digital only model with either just an HDD or maybe a large HDD + small SSD combo, and the more expensive getting a 4K drive and a large SSD.

Become a Patron!
Back