PlayStation Boss Calls Xbox Series S “Problematic”

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
xbox-series-s-console-controller-front-view-1024x576.jpg
Image: Microsoft

Microsoft’s weaker next-gen console, the Xbox Series S, has been pretty well received due to its bargain pricing, competitive hardware, and cute design. Too bad Sony doesn’t agree. Speaking with AV Watch, PlayStation head Jim Ryan criticized the concept of weaker, lower-priced consoles, claiming that they fail to provide good results.

“The first thing I would like to say is that I respect every competitor’s decision and their philosophies,” Ryan said, as translated by...

Continue reading...

Can argue that since multiplatform titles generally have to be made for the lowest common denominator that what he says is true. However, let's not forget that the Pro was much weaker than the One X, a switch on how the console generation started. What developers need to do is instead think about programming a console version like PC: Include quality options that are easily adjusted to fit the performance of the target machine.

What developers need to do is instead think about programming a console version like PC: Include quality options that are easily adjusted to fit the performance of the target machine.
Hell no. No. Just no. What they need to do is do things properly.

Hell no. No. Just no. What they need to do is do things properly.
Define "properly." Game engines already have definitions and flags built into their codebase for the target machine. The options are just hidden from the user. Games have started implementing options to give users a choice between prioritizing resolution or frame rate, so why not expand it a little? Give the user finer control over how the game is rendered, if they want to.

I don't see it as problematic. How hard is it for devs to use some type of hardware ID that knows which console it's running on and adjust graphics settings based on that? Series X you get the better graphics settings, Series S gets the reduced settings.

That's not hard. And quite frankly won't add much cost to a title.

I don't see it as problematic. How hard is it for devs to use some type of hardware ID that knows which console it's running on and adjust graphics settings based on that? Series X you get the better graphics settings, Series S gets the reduced settings.

That's not hard. And quite frankly won't add much cost to a title.
More hardware configurations means more testing and optimization, which takes more resources including time and money. One of the things developers focus on is frame time. The good ones, anyway.

Define "properly." Game engines already have definitions and flags built into their codebase for the target machine. The options are just hidden from the user. Games have started implementing options to give users a choice between prioritizing resolution or frame rate, so why not expand it a little? Give the user finer control over how the game is rendered, if they want to.
To me its bad enough consoles inherited patches and zero day patched and crap like that. Dont really want to see more options and more tweaking and the inevitable console setting benchmarks, and more and more like a pc.
Yes consoles are a form of a pc, i know that.... But they should have less of the bad stuff not more and more.
By properly I mean optimize your crap software and ship it pre optimized. If there is a check in the background then great.
I normally would say programers are lazy ... But that's not really fair.. the brass saving peanuts are probably the ones that want to keep polishing and optimizing to a minimum... It doesn't have much returns if any at all after all.
I imagine is coming but shouldn't AI be right at home in optimizing code and device drivers? That would be a neat company to create, leverage AI in a super computer for optimizing device drivers and software. Or maybe im talking out of my butt cheeks, I really don't know any of these things.. only that it seems its a repetitive task with definable outcomes that is workable within a large set of rules.

Become a Patron!
Back