Potential 3rd Gen Ryzen Threadripper Scores Appear on Geekbench

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Entries for a 32-core, 64-thread monster called the "Sharktooth" have appeared on Geekbench, and most signs point to it being a 3rd generation, Zen 2-based Threadripper part. The 3.6 GHz CPU (100-000000011-11) has the same configuration as the 2990WX and was tested on a "WhiteHavenOC-CP" motherboard with 128 GB of memory.

In one result, Sharktooth managed a single-core score of 5677 and 94772 multi-core score. It scored even higher in the other, achieving a single-core score of 5932 (and multi-core score of 93344). That's about a 7 to 10% single-core and 35% multi-core performance increase over the current Threadripper flagship.

With Zen 2 powering AMD's Ryzen 3000 chips and the recently revealed 2nd-gen Epyc CPUs, it appears the next product to use the architecture will be the 3rd-generation of Threadripper CPUs, codenamed Castle Peak. We don’t know when these HEDT processors will arrive, but a possible appearance in Geekbench suggests they might only be a few weeks away.

That performance improvement is alright. But really that's an intel per thread performance boost type. And please someone correct me if I am wrong here but shouldn't double the cores at 7% faster per core mean an performance improvement of 548% not 35%. Really I would accept an 150% improvement. But maybe this is test software not scaling up to 64 threads?

I'm pretty sure the comparison is made against a 32c/64t Threadripper 2990XW as that's the current flagship of the Threadripper family. So, the core count is the same. A 7-10% increase in single core and a 35% increase in multi-threaded performance more or less tracks with Zen 2's improvements over Zen+.

I'm pretty sure the comparison is made against a 32c/64t Threadripper 2990XW as that's the current flagship of the Threadripper family. So, the core count is the same. A 7-10% increase in single core and a 35% increase in multi-threaded performance more or less tracks with Zen 2's improvements over Zen+.

Ah ok I didn't catch for some reason I thought the peak of the previous revision was 16 core 32 thread. Still that % gain feels off. It feels like an Intel revision gain. I know they were trying to catch up to Intel on the IPC game and this is the release to do that. I just hope their next generation is more like 15% per thread.

Ah ok I didn't catch for some reason I thought the peak of the previous revision was 16 core 32 thread. Still that % gain feels off. It feels like an Intel revision gain. I know they were trying to catch up to Intel on the IPC game and this is the release to do that. I just hope their next generation is more like 15% per thread.
With high core count/threads CPU, I would rather have better multi-threading which 35% seems good. I am wondering the new cost on these, chipset and motherboards. Would like to get one.

The motherboard is the part that scares me. If X570 costs as much as it does, then I could see X599 or whatever costing upwards of $800-$1000 in some cases. Granted, X570's that go for $700 aren't the norm but they aren't isolated cases either. The CPU's seem like they might hold near the price of existing 2nd Generation CPU launch prices. So the 2990XW went for like $1,799 so that's what I expect its replacement to cost or thereabouts.

Become a Patron!
Back