Preferred 140mm fans for heatsinks / radiators?

Endgame

Semi-regular
Since there isn't a dedicated Cooling sub forum here, I figured the CPU section works well.

As I continue to build out my new system in anticipation of the 5950x, I find I'm needing 7x 140mm fans - 6x for a radiator and 1 as my primary case exhaust. My other radiator is a Thermochill 120.3 that will be using 6x Gentle Typhoon AP 15s that I already have on hand.

I dug up this link on [H] to a youtube (yuck) fan roundup with the Arctic P14 PWM as the winner

These fans are actually quite affordable (5 pack for ~$40 after shipping) so if it really turns out they are the way to go, I'll buy now and not look back. However, I never choose based on a single review, so I seek additional opinions.

I don't know from first hand experience but I have heard several throughout the tech internet that the Arctic P14 PWM is a very good fan, pushes a lot of air, and is pretty quiet.

Hopefully someone else with first hand usage will chime in here man.

I did a couple of google searches and ended up seeing additional favorable reviews. I figured even if they end up to be fairly mediocre, I'll spend extra on the rest of the system this year and upgrade the fans in a couple months if necessary.

I also forgot that the Define 7 XL came with 3 140mm fans, so I'll even have something to compare them to.

I had mixed results with Arctic PWM fans.
I had 2 120's replaced by Arctic as they got noisy in less than 6 months from purchase, and one 140.
Also the VRM fan on my 120 Arctic AIO began squealing, so now my Define Nano S has a Fractal Celsius 240 and Fractal case fans as well.

I bought a 5 pack of the Arctic P12 PWMs a year and a half ago and have them all in use. None of them has given me any problems and they work well enough. I can't particularly say anything about noise as noise itself doesn't bother me much as long as it's constant. All of the fans are running 100% all the time and I can't say I notice them but they are definitely quieter than the 120mm fans I have in another system running here.

For the price it's tough to go wrong by trying them and my experience with the 120mm fans is good.

My preferred 140mm fan is not even available commercially AFAIK. It's the 140mm coolermaster jetflo, which came with the XL140 AIO, but I've never seen the same fan sold separately only the 120mm version.

To me arctic fans seem low quality and weak. They have very little static pressure which is bad for water cooling, but OK for heatsinks. Also their rated RPM is usually low which means they aren't as versatile. I can make a 3000 rpm fan run at 1500, but I can't make a 1800 fan run at 2000 when necessary.

Last edited:
My preferred 140mm fan is not even available commercially AFAIK. It's the 140mm coolermaster jetflo, which came with the XL140 AIO, but I've never seen the same fan sold separately only the 120mm version.

To me arctic fans seem low quality and weak. They have very little static pressure which is bad for water cooling, but OK for heatsinks. Also their rated RPM is usually low which means they aren't as versatile. I can make a 3000 rpm fan run at 1500, but I can't make a 1800 fan run at 2000 when necessary.
Aren’t most radiators optimized for 700-1200 rpm though, with diminishing returns above that? Furthermore, aren’t 2x 700rpm fans in Push / pull going to have a better sound profile than a single fan at 1300rpm on those rads while having similar performance?

Aren’t most radiators optimized for 700-1200 rpm though, with diminishing returns above that? Furthermore, aren’t 2x 700rpm fans in Push / pull going to have a better sound profile than a single fan at 1300rpm on those rads while having similar performance?
Radiators are radiators I haven't seen much optimization in any of them. 700-1200 might be the sweet spot for noise, but that doesn't mean higher rpm won't increase cooling performance.

Regardless of Push / pull higher static pressure fans are still preferable for radiators. Because a low static pressure fan cannot force air through the fins, so it just created turbulence and noise.

An update to this thread.

the define 7 XL came with 3 factal 140mm 3 pin fans.

i bought a 5 pack of 140mm Artic fans, but accidentally bought the 3 pin version.

i also picked up one of these:
https://noctua.at/en/nf-a14-industrialppc-3000-pwm

First of, the noctua industrial is amazing. It’s minimum speed is a little higher than both the Artic and the Fractal fans, but it has a fantastic range 700rpm to 3000rpm and it doesn’t come with any of the annoying sound qualities I’ve had with high RPM Deltas running at low speed.

The Artic fans are better than included fractal fans - they have a lower startup speed and they have a smoother sound than the fractals at full speed.

If anyone at The FPS Review has the gear to test fans, I would love to see a fan shootout with the noctua industrial vs some other popular models. Like, how does it compare at 800-1000rpn vs another fan geared for operation between 500-1000rpm at 800-1000 rpm? How does it compare against other 2000+ RPM fans? Etc.

The Artic fans are better than included fractal fans - they have a lower startup speed and they have a smoother sound than the fractals at full speed.

Interesting, I thought the opposite. Much prefer the Fractal's. /shrug

The ones that come with the define 7XL, or a specific model of fractal fan?
Plain comes woth the box fans, in my case a Fractal Define nano S. I bought a few more as I like them. 3 pin 140's and 120's.
My Asus MB can control them so I dont hear them much. I also have a Fractal Celsius 240 AIO for the Cpu on top as exhaust.

Plain comes woth the box fans, in my case a Fractal Define nano S. I bought a few more as I like them. 3 pin 140's and 120's.
My Asus MB can control them so I dont hear them much. I also have a Fractal Celsius 240 AIO for the Cpu on top as exhaust.
I’m using my Asus MB for fan control as well, though it doesn’t have enough headers to power all the fans so I’ve used a few splitters. One has an Artic and a Fractal on the same header - the Artic powers on at lower power, and seems to push more air at 100%. That said, I don’t have a feel for longevity for either fan. My GT AP-15s have been running for somewhere around 8 years without developing any grinding / clicking / whine, but no idea if the Artics or Fractals will last that long.

I'm not a fan of Arctic fans either. They might be silent, but don't cool for crap either. They seem to have no static pressure whatsoever.

I'm not a fan of Arctic fans either. They might be silent, but don't cool for crap either. They seem to have no static pressure whatsoever.
They seem to be OK in push pull on a hw labs X flow - currently have it configured with 2 Artics always on @20% power on the 420, a single Fractal @25% power on the 420, and 2 AP-15s always on at 25% on the 120.3. Can feel the airflow from the Artics at that low power level. The other fans kick in as the coolant temp increases, but it so rarely goes above 25c that they are off most of the time.

Become a Patron!
Back