Productivity at Microsoft Japan Jumped by 40% after It Adopted a Four-Day Work Week

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Many workers dream about a four-day work week, but how would the idea turn out in reality? Very, very good, according to a recent test conducted over the summer by Microsoft's Japan offices. The Nippon branch found that giving its workers five Fridays off in a row (without decreasing pay) resulted in a 40% boost in productivity.

In addition to the increased productivity, employees took 25% less time off during the trial and electricity use was down 23% in the office with the additional day off per week. Employees printed 59% fewer pages of paper during the trial. The vast majority of employees – 92% – said they liked the shorter week.

Some employers in the U.S. already do this. Lockheed Martin has a four-day work week for many if not all of its divisions.

I used to have a four day work week and it was nothing short of awesome. It didn't feel like I was living just so I could work.

Between the house and kids and errands and everything else I've got so much crap to do on the weekends that there's never enough time for it all. I still have a stack of hardwood floor to put in and its been sitting there for weeks. I add items to my to-do list far faster than I can knock them off. A standard 3 day weekend would be AWESOME!

My work has done this for a couple of years. I've gone between a 3 day weekend and a 1/2 split. Not sure which is best, but I definitely enjoy working 4 11s over 5 9s.

The downside is the daily tasks that happen on work days are harder to get in, I pretty much don't see my family on work days, but I get a whole extra day so it's worth it imo.

Become a Patron!
Back