PS4 Is Now the Second Best-Selling Console of All Time, Just Behind the PS2

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Sony's latest financial results have cemented the PlayStation brand's kingship in the console space. As of Q2 2019, the company has shipped a total of 102.8 million units, surpassing the Nintendo Wii as the second best-selling console ever. PlayStation 2 is still in the lead at over 150 million units.

Sony has detailed its financial results for Q2 2019, which is the three months ended September 30 and revealed the PlayStation 4 shipped 2.8 million units worldwide in this timeframe. This figure is slightly down from Q1 2019, when the console shipped 3.2 million units. However, the figure is enough to make the PS4 the second best-selling console of all time.

I was really hoping the Switch would eventually surpass the ****ing Wii's lifetime sales, but I am pleased to see I don't have to wait that long. PS4 took care of it. Thanks! Still, I don't like that Wii is Nintendo's best selling home console, so I really need the Switch to come through. I wonder if any console will ever be able to challenge the PS2.

I doubt anything will beat the PS2 numbers. Gaming world is so fragmented now.... and DVD made the PS2, Bluray made the PS3... physical media is dying off in favor of streaming. I don't think it will matter if Sony puts in a super 8K/UHD ultra/mega/super disc in the PS5.

Pre-odered mine and had had it in my house on release day. Can't believe that was 6 years ago now! Wow time just goes.

I doubt anything will beat the PS2 numbers. Gaming world is so fragmented now.... and DVD made the PS2, Bluray made the PS3... physical media is dying off in favor of streaming. I don't think it will matter if Sony puts in a super 8K/UHD ultra/mega/super disc in the PS5.

You never know - it depends on how Sony markets PS4 over the next year and then into the PS5 life-cycle. If they keep producing units and market them as a budget option, it might continue to sell well in certain markets and hit PS2 like figures in the long run.

For instance, the PS2 had sold a worldwide total of 117 million units in March 2007 - this was the same month as the PAL release of the PS3 (JP and NA was November 2006). Fast forward to January 2013 when Sony had formally discontinued the console, it had sold 158 million units. That's a hell of a lot of sales even after the PS3 was released.

Become a Patron!
Back