PS5 and Xbox Scarlett Will Reportedly Have High-Quality Cameras for Game Streaming

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Gizmodo has been receiving leaks from someone in the industry who appears to have access to PlayStation 5 and Xbox Scarlett dev kits. The leaker, who was the first to out the design of the PS5 prototype (whose alleged codename is "Prospero"), has returned with some new tidbits on both: namely, Sony and Microsoft may be building the consoles with a significant focus on game streaming.

The tipper claims that both dev kits include cameras, with the Xbox Scarlett having the better one (4K resolution, two-frame latency). The Prospero's uses "older camera technology," but it should be safe to assume that the final hardware will put the current-gen PlayStation Camera to shame.

And there's a little more. Both consoles will support ray tracing, but they'll tackle the intensive technique differently despite both sharing AMD guts. There's also the claim that this generation will feature the “greatest compute jump in any console."

The PS4 and Xbox One both have streaming support, but it is not nearly as robust as the streaming solutions found on PC. It’s hard for a single device to handle rendering a game while also dealing with recording and transmitting a stream. The result is that streaming on the PS4 and Xbox One is barebones. In the case of PC gaming, the streaming setup typically involves either multiple computers or one quite powerful machine.

Exactly what consoles have always been missing out on. We need more wannabe professional gamers streaming their antics online.

/s

Seems like it was only a generation ago when everybody was up in arms at the thought of a camera pointing at them (ie: Kinect).

You can make some serious dough streaming ... most don't though

Also,

I don’t see how this is much different than the Kinect requirement that nearly sank the XB1

Also,

I don’t see how this is much different than the Kinect requirement that nearly sank the XB1
How'd the Kinect almost kill the XB1? I think it was silly to require an adapter for it to hook up to the XBox One S (and presumably the One X?) as I have found the Kinect very useful .. Alexa listens better than Cortana though so Alexa controls my One S .. but the Kinect is able to turn on/off the TV its hooked up to as well as control its' sound... I'm all about making a lazy man even lazier ... :poop:

Early pre-release rumor was that XB1 would require Kinect to be connected to the console. This was around the same time MS said they were going all-digital as well.

Then at release, every XB1 came with Kinect, so price was about $100 higher than PS4 for about a year.

The rumors ended up being just that, but it didn't help things. The price delta did hurt adoption considerably.

Become a Patron!
Back