QuakeCon Returns as an In-Person Event This August with Reimagined, Upgraded BYOC (Bring-Your-Own-Computer) LAN Party

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Bethesda has announced that QuakeCon 2023 will run Thursday, August 10, through Sunday, August 13, at the Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center in Grapevine, Texas. Unlike the past three QuakeCon conventions, which were digital only, 2023's convention will be an in-person one, featuring the return of the bring-your-own-computer (BYOC) LAN party event, now reimagined and upgraded, according to a press release that teases "four days of round-the-clock gaming" and other fun activities. This year's QuakeCon will be a ticketed-only event with admittance limited to pre-registered BYOC guests, and with this year’s focus on the in-person BYOC experience, there will be no exhibit hall and no General Admission for QuakeCon 2023.

See full article...

Oh jeez. I went to one of these around 2000 or 2001 I think. What a madhouse of sweaty nerds. Glorious. I haven't played anything Quake since.....2003? My skills are probably not up to par.

What I really miss from QuakeCon are the John Carmack keynotes. 3-hour or 4-hour talks that feel like 20 minutes.

Too bad there are no more prizes for the tournaments like Carmack's Ferrari.

I've never been to public LANParties. All the ones I've been to are with groups of friends, in a friend's home, up to about 8 or 10 people. Some of the most fun I've ever had in my life. I'd be concerned about getting my sh1t stolen at a public LANParty.

I haven't played anything Quake since.....2003? My skills are probably not up to par.
I suddenly found myself with an RTX 3090 earlier this year, so I've been messing around with Quake 2 RTX and having a blast. Other than that, I f*ck around with Quake 3 every few years or so (on the other hand I still play the three UT games every year). I'd like to check out Nightdive's remastered version of Quake 1 with extra levels from MachineGames. I still mess with all the Doom games a lot (except 3), but yeah the Quake series I barely touch these days.

What I really miss from QuakeCon are the John Carmack keynotes. 3-hour or 4-hour talks that feel like 20 minutes.

Right on. I used to watch anything he put out on YT. He goes on and on but it doesn't feel like actual hours

Become a Patron!
Back