Red Dead Redemption 2 PC Plagued by Crashes, Freezing, and Other Technical Issues

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Rockstar Games may want to patch its PC port of Red Dead Redemption 2 sooner rather than later. Early adopters are complaining about a slew of issues, ranging from the game failing to launch (something to do with the Rockstar Games Launcher being broken) to CPUs being maxed out, resulting in stuttering and/or freezing. There are even reports that the game isn't fully utilizing GPUs.

Many players are reporting not being able to start the game at all, with it either crashing on the intro or giving them a message that the Rockstar launcher won’t launch. Some folks are having luck fixing the intro crash by disabling their anti-virus software. Other players are getting a message saying “activation required” when they try to launch the game, with some reporting that logging in and out of the Rockstar Launcher helps.

Haven't actually tried playing it yet just tweaking settings and benching with my 1080TI/2600k rig to get to around 60+ fps. For kicks I set everything to max, at 1440p/G-Sync, and saw some interesting specs. Game was averaging roughly 8GB to over 10GB in ram at max settings in both Vulkan and DX12. Vram at max settings was hanging around 9GB and seemed to gain a few more fps in DX12 but couldn't hold 30fps. I lowered settings to the preset "prefer performance" and averaged 60-77 fps. Vram dropped to around 4GB or 5GB but ram was still holding around 10GB.

Well gawd **** dude. Sounding almost like the mess that was GTA 4 on PC.
So the game supports both DX12 and Vulkan? Interesting.

I'd definitely say there's a number of similarities to previous GTA launches but I have to give them credit for truly trying to make an actual "PC" version of the game. There's roughly over two dozen graphical settings alone. I remember with GTA V it took around 6 months for them to iron out most bugs but in return that game is still a bit of a definitive technological achievement that can punish modern rigs at 4k.

edit: One thing I will give them grief over is that their in-game vram calculator is still not reporting correctly. It showed my 1080TI as having something like 9.8GB. GTA V does something similar. Another game with unusual reporting of vram and usage is RE2 remastered. Wonder if they're sharing some code?

Become a Patron!
Back