Remedy Announces Max Payne and Max Payne 2 Remakes for PC, PS5, and Xbox Series X|S, Developed on Control’s Northlight Engine

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
What an incredible day for May Payne fans. In a surprise announcement this evening, Remedy Entertainment revealed that it would be remaking both Max Payne and its equally brilliant sequel, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne, for PC, PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series X|S platforms.

Go to post

One of my favorite games back then. The Matrix mod was great.

I never got around to completing the original Max Payne or playing its sequels - so definitely interested in these remasters.

I never got around to completing the original Max Payne or playing its sequels - so definitely interested in these remasters.
The article says they will be remakes, not remasters. In any case, Max Payne 1 and 2 were very good games, definitely worth playing. 3 wasn't bad either. Gameplay-wise, 2 was definitely the best one. They've all been on sale for super-cheap at various times throughout the years. Hoping the remakes are just as good if not better.

The article says they will be remakes, not remasters. In any case, Max Payne 1 and 2 were very good games, definitely worth playing. 3 wasn't bad either. Gameplay-wise, 2 was definitely the best one. They've all been on sale for super-cheap at various times throughout the years. Hoping the remakes are just as good if not better.
I remember enjoying the first 2, never played the 3rd. I think I could get into the remakes if done right. Blizzard and Rockstar have shown how easy it is to screw up new versions of old games.

I have a lot of good old games on GOG and Steam, and early 3rd person 3D haven't held up well for me. I recently replayed Syndicate (2D sprites, 1993), but I didn't get through the intro mission in Syndicate Wars (3D, 1996).

The remake of System Shock is finally nearing release. Well see how it does 7(?) years after the original Kickstarter.

I only finished the first one and never played the 3rd one. Seems like a good time to pay them a visit.

I only finished the first one and never played the 3rd one. Seems like a good time to pay them a visit.
The third one is only max payne by name. It is an alright action game, just pretend the protagonist is not max payne, because apart from one contrieved flashback mission it has no connection to the previous games, it actually tries to make fun of them at times. And the character is unrecognizable.

Here is my rant on the game: max-payne-3-2012

Last edited:
The third one is only max payne by name. It is an alright action game, just pretend the protagonist is not max payne, because apart from one contrieved flashback mission it has no connection to the previous games, it actually tries to make fun of them at times. And the character is unrecognizable.

I knew there was a reason I never played the third one.

Yeah in terms of tone, atmosphere, characters and such, Max Payne 3 is nothing like the first two games.

I remember playing the first one.

I forced myself through it, despite it being 3rd person, and me not caring for 3rd person titles.

I mostly thought it was forgettable. The "Film Noir" setting just didn't do it for me. I never played any of the sequels.

Back of the Max Payne 1 CD case:
View attachment 1558

Remember when game boxes/cases had 3DMark scores on them?
Was that a commonplace thing though?

I mean, Remedy was closely related to MadOnion, both of them having evolved out of the Finnish Future Crew demo group.

I don't remember ever seeing this on any other game box, but then again, I didn't have too many game boxes back then. I was a little bit of a pirate in the pre-steam days.

Become a Patron!
Back