Returnal PC System Requirements Released, 32 GB of RAM Recommended

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Housemarque and Climax Studios have shared the system requirements for their upcoming PC port of Returnal, the award-winning third-person shooter that was previously exclusive to PlayStation 5 consoles.

See full article...

Well I am willing to bet that most people with that tier of video card already are running 32 gig of ram. Clearly this isn't targeting the majority of end users for recommended spec.

Well I am willing to bet that most people with that tier of video card already are running 32 gig of ram. Clearly this isn't targeting the majority of end users for recommended spec.
For the most part, I agree - however, there's not really been a reason to go beyond 16GB of RAM for most gaming, or really anything else that a desktop user would do - including photo editing and the like. It can help, but it's certainly not needed.

I will say that for higher-performance DDR4 and especially DDR5, 32GB is typically faster just to the arrangement of the memory into channels and banks.

I have 32G of RAM in my current system. I have 6G of it set up as a dedicated RAM cache for a spinner HD, so effectively I have 26G I suppose.

With that, running Chrome with all the tabs open, a game or two, and whatever else is in the background, my system still sits at around 50% load at any given moment, and I don't think I've ever seen it go above 75%, with some light VM work.

32G is a lot of F'n RAM. And given that a PS5 only as 16G of RAM in the first place (***and that's combined system and VRAM***), 32G really sounds like they just said "hell with it" and did a crappy port without caring

For the most part, I agree - however, there's not really been a reason to go beyond 16GB of RAM for most gaming, or really anything else that a desktop user would do - including photo editing and the like. It can help, but it's certainly not needed.

I will say that for higher-performance DDR4 and especially DDR5, 32GB is typically faster just to the arrangement of the memory into channels and banks.
Actually photo editing can eat up a lot of RAM if you are working with large format images.

I don't think RAM amount will be a problem for me in gaming for a while as I upgraded to 64GB in 2021 for photogrammetry work.

I've heard good things about this game but the description about being caught in a time travel loop just reminds me of some of those TNG episodes that are my least favorite so I'll probably pass on this.

Become a Patron!
Back