Richard Gouge Intro and Cooler Review Format

What's the first cooler on the bench for review?

To get myself used to the new CMS, as well as give a feel to the new review layout and things, the first one is going to be the Hyper 212 Evo.

After I get that old standby out of the way I've got a couple new shiny ones ready to torture.

With all the modern platforms basing performance (ie n-core clock speed vs. time) on temperature as well as power, will there be comparisons to how much more performance a cooler can provide for a system vs. reference? That is, instead of fixed speed vs. temp measurement, what about time to complete a series of fixed single/multithreaded tasks on AMD/Intel systems at stock MB settings (or PBO/MCE enabled)?

Great to see you here Richard! I enjoyed your work at [H], and can't wait to see more!

Are you going to touch any custom loop watercooling stuff?

To get myself used to the new CMS, as well as give a feel to the new review layout and things, the first one is going to be the Hyper 212 Evo.

After I get that old standby out of the way I've got a couple new shiny ones ready to torture.

Can't start with the D15?

Will you ever touch lesser brands like Lepa and the like?

Great to see you here Richard! I enjoyed your work at [H], and can't wait to see more!

Are you going to touch any custom loop watercooling stuff?

Thanks man, glad to see you here too. I'd love to do some custom loop stuff. My personal PC has been under a custom loop for about 16 years now. I would honestly want to do custom loop stuff on a test bench instead of the case, so it would require an entire new test rig, so it may be a while (if ever) that it happens.

Can't start with the D15?

Don't have a D15 on hand

Will you ever touch lesser brands like Lepa and the like?

Would love to, I'm open to testing any cooler.

I need a custom loop in my system badly. This AIO can barely handle this Threadripper 2920X. I just haven't wanted to spend the money.

Nice, always good to see more of the original review gang :).

I need a custom loop in my system badly. This AIO can barely handle this Threadripper 2920X. I just haven't wanted to spend the money.

I think I have an EK DDC pump with heatsink, to help get you started :D

Any thoughts of doing reviews of custom loop WC components? Rads, pumps, res, tubing, blocks, etc? We see a lot of HSF and AIO reviews out there, but not a lot on the custom scene. Granted, you get into a lot of variables there and not everything can be quantified, but a good deal of it could be, and there's always a subjective review for things like tubing and dye and RGB lighting and such.

One of the most sought after (for water coolers) yet least available is the NCore direct die Intel water block.
This requires a delid of the CPU doing away with the lid, there is an option to have the delid tool which doubles up as an extra CPU clamp.
It was a Kickstarter over a year ago that had multiple chronic disasters yet the guy is determined to get them to those who didnt ask for a refund.
He recently built his own very high precision CNC machine to complete the job himself, our water blocks should be manufactured soon.
After the Kickstarter has been fulfilled it will no doubt go on general sale so is perhaps worth reviewing at some point.
As long as the CPU can be delidded its worth considering.

One of the most sought after (for water coolers) yet least available is the NCore direct die Intel water block.
This requires a delid of the CPU doing away with the lid, there is an option to have the delid tool which doubles up as an extra CPU clamp.
It was a Kickstarter over a year ago that had multiple chronic disasters yet the guy is determined to get them to those who didnt ask for a refund.
He recently built his own very high precision CNC machine to complete the job himself, our water blocks should be manufactured soon.
After the Kickstarter has been fulfilled it will no doubt go on general sale so is perhaps worth reviewing at some point.

That thing is freaking sweet!!!!

I gotta say the thermocouple lead coming out of that thing looks like a tampon string ><

Unfortunately I have no way of testing it. It would require an entire custom loop, plus an Intel test bench. Fortunately, Kyle did review it over at [H] last year... unfortunately it ain't all it's cracked up to be.

Become a Patron!
Back