Rick and Morty Creator Resigns from Squanch Games (High on Life)

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Justin Roiland is best known as the animator, voice actor, writer, producer, and director behind the animated sitcom Rick and Morty, but he's also passionate about video games, having founded a studio called Squanch Games in 2016. According to a tweet that the High on Life studio shared today, Roiland resigned from the studio on January 16, 2023, and while no reason was given, it likely has to do with the felony domestic abuse charges that the creator is facing. Roiland has also been kicked off Rick and Morty; his voice roles will be recast.

See full article...

Recasting Rick Sanchez and Morty Smith? Yeah, that won't go over very well.

As I recall, there was some 70+ episode deal for Rick & Morty with Adult Swim. Seems like Adult Swim is going to continue to make the show anyway, just without Roiland. To be honest, without Roiland, I can't see Rick & Morty continuing successfully anyway. Apparently, he's being replaced on Solar Opposites too.

TBH I haven't enjoyed it as much after the 3rd season. Seasons 4+5 had some moments but didn't leave me laughing non-stop like the previous ones did and after a while even felt forced. The pacing was still there but something was missing. I haven't seen the latest season so I have no idea. For some stupid reason ever since the new deal was signed, I can't get my DVR to record them and have had to wait until they hit HBO Max.

As I recall, there was some 70+ episode deal for Rick & Morty with Adult Swim.
Yep. I was reading the same about this last night. This story actually has some stuff about Harmon that I didn't remember.

https://www.tvinsider.com/1078689/adult-swim-rick-and-morty-justin-roiland-recast-end-relationship/

As I recall, there was some 70+ episode deal for Rick & Morty with Adult Swim. Seems like Adult Swim is going to continue to make the show anyway, just without Roiland. To be honest, without Roiland, I can't see Rick & Morty continuing successfully anyway. Apparently, he's being replaced on Solar Opposites too.
Doesn't really matter as the show has been mediocre for a while and the latest season is so bad I stopped watching it entirely.

I've watched it from the beginning and though it's lost a little steam, but it's still funny. This latest season has been pretty good save maybe a few episodes. Replacing Roiland won't be easy, so we will have to wait and see I guess.

Last edited:
I've watched it from the beginning and though it's lost a little steam it's still funny. This latest season has been pretty good save maybe a few episodes. Replacing Roiland won't be easy, so we will have to wait and see I guess.
Recasting actors rarely goes well.

Become a Patron!
Back