Rii X8 RGB TV/HTPC Keyboard Shown at CES

That is clunky and trash and belongs in the early 90's.

From to Roku, to Plex, to Playon, to Kodi boxes, DLNA, the battle continues on this front. Trying to incorporate personal libraries with those in 'clouds' isn't an easy thing. Especially if your personal library involves an extensive amount of formats including direct BD rips. I've got a device nearly identical to this in a drawer somewhere. Worked fine but was never happy with my own solutions for integrating a HTPC server across the house. Smart T.V.'s, and Roku, have a lot more apps, options now. Who knows, maybe I'll bring my 2600k rig back to life one more time to be reincarnated as one now.

Why doesn't someone just make an app so you can use your smart phone to control your HTPC?

Oh, wait, they do. It's call RDP.

I'm nearly positive that my wife's weird China-made streaming box (she got it through one of her shady friends) came with a controller that looked exactly like this.

I'm nearly positive that my wife's weird China-made streaming box (she got it through one of her shady friends) came with a controller that looked exactly like this.

I wouldn't be surprised. There was no shortage of "gaming" mouse, keyboard and headset companies at CES with the first word in their name being "Shenzhen" that all seemed to be hawking the same products. I didn't see any repeats of this one, hence the posting, but given that it's selling for $20 delivered to your door right now, it's not exactly expected to be of high quality.

This thing seems worth a shot for 20 bucks.

I have one HTPC set up for movies and streaming and currently just use a cheap wireless keyboard and mouse.

I've seen these (or some very similar) and wondered if it was worth the effort. I already ripped out the HTPC from living room, it's all Roku now (which is being replaced with a Fire 4k because of some app problems with Roku). And if I need a PC I just hook up a laptop or mirror the screen to Roku.

I sorta miss having a HTPC but do not miss the hassle one bit. Always something that needed to be fixed, windows updates, drivers etc etc. Now if I were single again I would have a badass gaming PC in the living room, but not today...

I wouldn't mind something like that if for no other reason than typing in passwords for things like Netflix. Using the remote to do this sort of thing sucks ***.

Become a Patron!
Back